Jul 13, 2014, 8:35 AM EST
Now that Netherlands’ World Cup adventure is over, Louis van Gaal will finally be making his way to England. The Dutchman was appointed as Manchester United manager nearly two months ago, but he’s only been involved at a distance, and is likely eager to get settled and devote himself fully to the task of rebuilding the team.
But one player that won’t be joining him is Dutch winger Arjen Robben. The 30-year-old scored three goals and provided one assist as Holland made their way into third place, so it’s easy to see why van Gaal would want Robben to join him at United. His 21 goals in all competitions with Bayern Munich last year probably help, too.
However, Robben has ruled out following van Gaal to Manchester. “I have a special bond with him. He is the most important coach in my career,” Robben said. “[Moving to United] is not an option though. I will stay at Bayern Munich.”
Manchester United fans probably shouldn’t be too worried, however. Their new manager is likely to be undetered by Robben’s rejection. Rumor has it that Arturo Vidal, Angel di Maria and Mats Hummels are just a few of the names floating around Old Trafford, with Vidal’s transfer looking particularly likely with each passing hour.
- West Ham United 0-1 Chelsea: Hazard’s header enough for league leaders 0
- Newcastle United 0-1 Manchester United: Krul gaffe spoils Jonas return 1
- Swansea’s Bafetimbi Gomis stretchered off the pitch after appearing to collapse 1
- Watch Live: West Ham United vs. Chelsea (Lineups and Live Stream) 0
- Watch Live: Newcastle United vs. Manchester United (Lineups and Live Stream) 0
- WATCH: Premier League live online via NBC Sports Live Extra – Week 28 0