Jul 13, 2014, 4:53 PM EDT
So we need another half-hour to try and decide this, and then maybe even penalties.
Argentina has seen the better of the chances, but they appear to be getting tired, as their star man Messi has had little to do. Germany looked dangerous in the final 10 minutes of regulation.
Germany’s midfield has shown their usual engine-like purr, with Bastian Schweinsteiger providing gobs of passes as well as important tackles. However, the Argentinian defense hasn’t conceded in 473 minutes.
On the other end, Javier Mascherano has once again been a brick wall in front of Argentina’s back line, and it’s translated to breakaway opportunities at the other end.
We’ve seen our fair share of nasty head injuries as well, with both Christoph Kramer and Higuain suffering hard blows.
Both have since left the game, although Higuain’s substitution. appeared to be more tactical.
One man we haven’t seen for Argentina is Angel di Maria, another spark plug for Argentina who has been sidelined due to injury. It was unsure whether he’d be available for this match at all.
He won’t be able to come on for extra time, as Argentina has used all three of their substitutes. Joachim Löw still has one sub remaining for the added half-hour.
Argentina made it to the final on penalty kicks, having knocked out the Netherlands in the shootout.
Germany: Neuer; Lahm, Hummels, Boateng, Höwedes; Schweinsteiger, Kramer (Schurrle 32′); Müller, Kroos, Özil; Klose (Gotze 88′).
Argentina: Romero, Garay, Zabaleta, Biglia, Perez (Gago 86′), Higuain (Palacio 78′), Messi, Mascherano, Demichelis, Rojo, Lavezzi (Aguero 46′).
- Klinsmann on USMNT’s win over Guatemala: “I’m not happy with that performance” 1
- 2011 Women’s World Cup final loss still burns in Abby Wambach’s memory 1
- USMNT player ratings: How Klinsmann’s men fared against Guatemala 1
- USA 4-0 Guatemala: USMNT cruises into Gold Cup with win in Nashville 0
- World players’ union FIFPro opens door to women for first time in 50-year history 0
- How will USMNT line up vs. Guatemala in final pre-Gold Cup friendly? 3