Jul 13, 2014, 8:20 PM EDT
The 113th minute of the 2014 World Cup final will forever be remembered as the moment Mario Gotze won the World Cup for Germany.
Gotze, 22, chested the ball down and hammered a perfect volley across goal into the far corner to give the Germans their fourth World Cup in history.
It’s safe to say Gotze is now a national hero in Germany. There is going to be a lot of newborns called Mario this time next year…
Anyway, below is everything you need to know about Gotze as the game-winner has became a hero, icon and wunderkid with one majestic swipe of his left boot.
Full name: Mario Gotze
Hometown: Memmingen, Bavaria
Club team: Bayern Munich
International stats: 35 apps / 11 goals
Height: 5 ft 9 in
Squad number: 19
Position: Playmaker, left, right, central midfield
2014 World Cup stats: 6 apps / 2 goals
Fun fact: His father, Jurgen, is a renowned professor at the University of Dortmund
Other ‘Super Mario’ facts
- Gotze was embroiled in a transfer brawl between Germany’s two biggest teams, Bayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund, last summer. Bayern found out Gotze had a buy-out clause in his contract the week before the two squared off at Wembley for the UEFA Champions League title. Then, they bought him. Uproar. Gotze, heading to Bayern but still a Dortmund player, didn’t play. After moving to the Allianz this season his career has failed to take off at Bayern. Maybe this goal will help.
- Gotze is the second most expensive German player in history after Bayern splashed out $50 million for the talented attacker. Only Mesut Ozil $(64 million) cost more.
- Gotze’s girlfriend is German lingerie model, Ann-Kathrin Brommel.
- Gotze is held in high esteem from his manager, Joachim Low, who revealed in his post-match presser that he told Gotze at half time of extra time to: “Show to the world that you’re better than Messi and that you can decide the World Cup.” He did just that. No big deal…
- Gotze is a standout guy who remembered his best mate Marco Reus during the greatest moment of his career. Gotze and Reus came up through Borussia Dortmund’s academy together, but Reus was badly injured in a warm up game before the World Cup and didn’t go to Brazil. Gotze dedicated his goal (plus he was holding Reus’ shirt after the game, see below) and the win to his good pal Reus. Fair play, Mario.
Jul 4, 2015, 1:15 AM EDT
Tyrone Mears scored an absolute beauty late in the match to down a ten-man D.C. United.
Jul 4, 2015, 12:59 AM EDT
The English defender is still getting over the heartbreak of an own goal.
Jul 4, 2015, 12:08 AM EDT
Despite leaving Nashville with a 4-0 win, Jurgen Klinsmann was far from pleased with how the United States played.
Jul 3, 2015, 11:32 PM EDT
Substitutes scored the goals for each side, as the Fire leave Houston with a point.
Jul 3, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
Wambach gets a second chance in a World Cup final against Japan again on Sunday.
Jul 3, 2015, 10:45 PM EDT
Seventeen players saw action in the USMNT’s 4-0 over Guatemala. See who helped (or hurt) their standing heading into the Gold Cup.
Jul 3, 2015, 10:10 PM EDT
The U.S. turned things around mid-tournament and now finds itself in the World Cup final.
Jul 3, 2015, 9:35 PM EDT
For the second straight Copa America tournament, Peru has left with a third place finish.
Jul 3, 2015, 9:01 PM EDT
Three second half goals led to an easy win for the USMNT, as the Gold Cup is now just four days away.
Jul 3, 2015, 8:21 PM EDT
Deemed as excess talent by their Premier League clubs, Nani and Lukas Podolski are headed to the Turkish Super Lig.
Jul 3, 2015, 7:30 PM EDT
With Queens Park Rangers relegated to the Championship, the club wants to get top dollar for star striker Charlie Austin.
Jul 3, 2015, 6:34 PM EDT
Pride is on the line as Peru and Paraguay look to take home third place at the 2015 Copa America.
Jul 3, 2015, 5:40 PM EDT
Anelka now a manager? Oh how times have changed…
Jul 3, 2015, 4:45 PM EDT
Women’s players can get representation from FIFPro for the first time in the continued fight for equality.
Jul 3, 2015, 4:30 PM EDT
The West Midlands club released a statement today that new ownership should be in place “by the end of this month.”
Jul 3, 2015, 3:33 PM EDT
Fiorentina has lawyered up as the Chelsea winger has reportedly refused to return to the club on another loan.
Jul 3, 2015, 2:36 PM EDT
Three suggested lineups for Jurgen Klinsmann ahead of the USA vs. Guatemala on Friday.
Jul 3, 2015, 1:40 PM EDT
Martunis’ incredible story will now continue in Lisbon.
Jul 3, 2015, 12:53 PM EDT
Analyzing where the final in Santiago on Saturday will be won and lost.
Jul 3, 2015, 11:50 AM EDT
Another day, another healthy dollop of gossip from around the Premier League.
- Klinsmann on USMNT’s win over Guatemala: “I’m not happy with that performance” 0
- USMNT player ratings: How Klinsmann’s men fared against Guatemala 1
- USA 4-0 Guatemala: USMNT cruises into Gold Cup with win in Nashville 0
- World players’ union FIFPro opens door to women for first time in 50-year history 0
- How will USMNT line up vs. Guatemala in final pre-Gold Cup friendly? 3
- Chile vs. Argentina – Three key battles that will decide the Copa America final 0