Jul 13, 2014, 8:20 PM EST
The 113th minute of the 2014 World Cup final will forever be remembered as the moment Mario Gotze won the World Cup for Germany.
Gotze, 22, chested the ball down and hammered a perfect volley across goal into the far corner to give the Germans their fourth World Cup in history.
It’s safe to say Gotze is now a national hero in Germany. There is going to be a lot of newborns called Mario this time next year…
Anyway, below is everything you need to know about Gotze as the game-winner has became a hero, icon and wunderkid with one majestic swipe of his left boot.
Full name: Mario Gotze
Hometown: Memmingen, Bavaria
Club team: Bayern Munich
International stats: 35 apps / 11 goals
Height: 5 ft 9 in
Squad number: 19
Position: Playmaker, left, right, central midfield
2014 World Cup stats: 6 apps / 2 goals
Fun fact: His father, Jurgen, is a renowned professor at the University of Dortmund
Other ‘Super Mario’ facts
- Gotze was embroiled in a transfer brawl between Germany’s two biggest teams, Bayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund, last summer. Bayern found out Gotze had a buy-out clause in his contract the week before the two squared off at Wembley for the UEFA Champions League title. Then, they bought him. Uproar. Gotze, heading to Bayern but still a Dortmund player, didn’t play. After moving to the Allianz this season his career has failed to take off at Bayern. Maybe this goal will help.
- Gotze is the second most expensive German player in history after Bayern splashed out $50 million for the talented attacker. Only Mesut Ozil $(64 million) cost more.
- Gotze’s girlfriend is German lingerie model, Ann-Kathrin Brommel.
- Gotze is held in high esteem from his manager, Joachim Low, who revealed in his post-match presser that he told Gotze at half time of extra time to: “Show to the world that you’re better than Messi and that you can decide the World Cup.” He did just that. No big deal…
- Gotze is a standout guy who remembered his best mate Marco Reus during the greatest moment of his career. Gotze and Reus came up through Borussia Dortmund’s academy together, but Reus was badly injured in a warm up game before the World Cup and didn’t go to Brazil. Gotze dedicated his goal (plus he was holding Reus’ shirt after the game, see below) and the win to his good pal Reus. Fair play, Mario.
Jan 26, 2015, 9:45 PM EST
Hope Solo’s punishment for repeated alcohol-related incidents could extend much further than her initial 30-day suspension.
Jan 26, 2015, 8:22 PM EST
3-4 months on the sidelines means a massive hole to fill to start the 2015 season.
Jan 26, 2015, 7:10 PM EST
After two more places in the knockout rounds were booked on Tuesday, half the quarterfinal matchups are set.
Jan 26, 2015, 6:15 PM EST
Half the current USMNT roster was built with the Gold Cup in mind, while the other half is about next year’s Olympics. So, who’s who, then?
Jan 26, 2015, 4:05 PM EST
After eight months without a club, Juan Agudelo is reportedly returning to the place he should have been all along: MLS.
Jan 26, 2015, 2:59 PM EST
As the soccer world will no longer see the maverick skills of the Argentine playmaker, here’s a look at some of his best moments.
Jan 26, 2015, 2:38 PM EST
Here’s the draw for the last 16 of the FA Cup, as PL big boys get more tough tests.
Jan 26, 2015, 1:57 PM EST
Van Praag announces his intentions to run against Blatter, says he has the backing of five federations.
Jan 26, 2015, 1:00 PM EST
Betting on five underdogs away from home in the FA Cup will win you serious cash.
Jan 26, 2015, 12:32 PM EST
Fagundez explains why he couldn’t wait any longer to select his national team.
Jan 26, 2015, 12:00 PM EST
If Wolfsburg can agree a fee for Schurrle, should he leave Stamford Bridge?
Jan 26, 2015, 11:26 AM EST
Carver will take charge for the final 16 games of the season… but what then?
Jan 26, 2015, 9:55 AM EST
Red Bulls attacker heading to Abu Dhabi?
Jan 26, 2015, 9:20 AM EST
The signing of two Venezuelan youngsters could put Real in plenty of trouble with FIFA, as Barcelona-esque transfer ban could be on the cards.
Jan 26, 2015, 8:34 AM EST
The Koreans will face either Australia or the UAE in Saturday’s final in Sydney.
Jan 26, 2015, 8:00 AM EST
All the latest gossip, right here.
Jan 25, 2015, 11:33 PM EST
“I am concerned, not because of Chelsea but because we didn’t score in our last two home games,” Pellegrini said.
Jan 25, 2015, 10:50 PM EST
The 33-year-old Cameroonian striker joins a Sampdoria side currently tied for third in the table with 34 points.
Jan 25, 2015, 10:13 PM EST
“If he’s not ready for Tuesday then he’ll be back, for sure, against West Ham next weekend,” Rodgers said.
Jan 25, 2015, 9:22 PM EST
Maloney turned 32 on Saturday and will be unveiled by Chicago on Monday.
- Chile vs. USA preview: Who’s here to stay as USMNT kicks off 2015? 0
- Report: Juan Agudelo close to signing with his former MLS team, New England Revolution 4
- Head of Dutch FA, Michael van Praag, will challenge Blatter for FIFA presidency 2
- Newcastle United name John Carver head coach until end of 2014-15 season 0
- Transfer ban for Real Madrid? Probe launched after signing of Venezuelan kids 3
- Transfer rumor roundup: Ings to Tottenham Hotspur, Busquets to Manchester United 0