Jul 13, 2014, 8:20 PM EDT
The 113th minute of the 2014 World Cup final will forever be remembered as the moment Mario Gotze won the World Cup for Germany.
Gotze, 22, chested the ball down and hammered a perfect volley across goal into the far corner to give the Germans their fourth World Cup in history.
It’s safe to say Gotze is now a national hero in Germany. There is going to be a lot of newborns called Mario this time next year…
Anyway, below is everything you need to know about Gotze as the game-winner has became a hero, icon and wunderkid with one majestic swipe of his left boot.
Full name: Mario Gotze
Hometown: Memmingen, Bavaria
Club team: Bayern Munich
International stats: 35 apps / 11 goals
Height: 5 ft 9 in
Squad number: 19
Position: Playmaker, left, right, central midfield
2014 World Cup stats: 6 apps / 2 goals
Fun fact: His father, Jurgen, is a renowned professor at the University of Dortmund
Other ‘Super Mario’ facts
- Gotze was embroiled in a transfer brawl between Germany’s two biggest teams, Bayern Munich and Borussia Dortmund, last summer. Bayern found out Gotze had a buy-out clause in his contract the week before the two squared off at Wembley for the UEFA Champions League title. Then, they bought him. Uproar. Gotze, heading to Bayern but still a Dortmund player, didn’t play. After moving to the Allianz this season his career has failed to take off at Bayern. Maybe this goal will help.
- Gotze is the second most expensive German player in history after Bayern splashed out $50 million for the talented attacker. Only Mesut Ozil $(64 million) cost more.
- Gotze’s girlfriend is German lingerie model, Ann-Kathrin Brommel.
- Gotze is held in high esteem from his manager, Joachim Low, who revealed in his post-match presser that he told Gotze at half time of extra time to: “Show to the world that you’re better than Messi and that you can decide the World Cup.” He did just that. No big deal…
- Gotze is a standout guy who remembered his best mate Marco Reus during the greatest moment of his career. Gotze and Reus came up through Borussia Dortmund’s academy together, but Reus was badly injured in a warm up game before the World Cup and didn’t go to Brazil. Gotze dedicated his goal (plus he was holding Reus’ shirt after the game, see below) and the win to his good pal Reus. Fair play, Mario.
Apr 24, 2015, 9:38 PM EDT
Tim Howard takes on his former club Manchester United, while Brad Guzan looks to keep Manchester City off the scoresheet.
Apr 24, 2015, 8:50 PM EDT
Finding a club to pay his $150,000 per week wages is the only problem for Spurs.
Apr 24, 2015, 7:46 PM EDT
The Baggies must defend The Hawthorns as Liverpool is barely clinging on to top-four dreams.
Apr 24, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT
Clinging onto safety in the Premier League, Hull City players now have some added incentive to avoid the drop.
Apr 24, 2015, 5:37 PM EDT
Still in his first season as manager at Old Trafford, LVG has already endorsed his top assistant to be the next in line.
Apr 24, 2015, 4:42 PM EDT
Can Tim Sherwood and Aston Villa continue their climb up the table at the Etihad?
Apr 24, 2015, 3:42 PM EDT
PST’s Joe Prince-Wright sat down with the Southampton defender to see how the Saints’ skipper has evolved into one of the best center-backs in the Premier League.
Apr 24, 2015, 2:50 PM EDT
In the latest PST Extra we take a quick look at why whispers about managers losing their jobs at Liverpool, Man City are getting louder.
Apr 24, 2015, 2:06 PM EDT
PST’s Lead Writer and Editor predicts the scores in the PL this weekend.
Apr 24, 2015, 1:25 PM EDT
Spurs are reportedly in talks with the NFL about housing a franchise in their new stadium.
Apr 24, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
What do you think of these 11 players getting Team of the Year honors?
Apr 24, 2015, 11:19 AM EDT
Where and how to watch every PL game during Week 34.
Apr 24, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
Mourinho stirs the pot before huge clash with Arsenal on Sunday.
Apr 24, 2015, 9:25 AM EDT
Can Saints get revenge on Pochettino as he returns to St Mary’s? Watch live, Saturday, 7:45 a.m ET.
Apr 24, 2015, 8:10 AM EDT
Jose Mourinho has delivered an update on Costa’s progress ahead of Sunday’s big game.
UEFA Champions League semifinal draw: Guardiola’s Bayern get Barcelona; Real Madrid take on Juventus
Apr 24, 2015, 7:31 AM EDT
Former Barca boss Guardiola is heading back to the Nou Camp for the UCL semis.
Apr 23, 2015, 11:17 PM EDT
Mauricio Pochettino feels that any team not having to contend with Europa League has a better chance of qualifying for Champions League.
Apr 23, 2015, 10:13 PM EDT
Hands off our Pep, Man City. Bayern exec says Guardiola is going nowhere.
Apr 23, 2015, 9:17 PM EDT
Sporting KC vs. Real Salt Lake is inching ever closer to Most Hated Rivalry in MLS.
Apr 23, 2015, 7:21 PM EDT
It’s the biggest game of Chelsea’s season, and Mourinho might have to start a 17-year-old at striker.
- Premier League Preview: West Bromwich Albion vs. Liverpool 0
- SportsWorld: Jose Fonte talks playing with Ronaldo, shares thoughts on MLS 0
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks: Time for the underdogs to shine 0
- WATCH: NBC Sports’ Premier League TV schedule – Week 34 0
- Jose Mourinho: “Arsene Wenger is not my rival” ahead of Arsenal vs. Chelsea 6
- UEFA Champions League semifinal draw: Guardiola’s Bayern get Barcelona; Real Madrid take on Juventus 0