Jul 13, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
It has been a stunning World Cup throughout the summer, as the world’s best national teams have descended on Brazil.
Stars have been born, others big names have faded but overall there have been a plethora of players who have shone on soccer’s biggest stage. Germany won the World Cup thanks to Mario Gotze‘s moment of magic, as Argentina took them all the way in a tense but entertaining finale.
[ RELATED: World Cup homepage ]
Below is PST’s best XI from the 2014 World Cup, picked by yours truly, plus a list of players who earned honorable mentions.
Do you agree with our selections? Either way, let us know in the comments section below.
PST’s Team of the World Cup – (4-2-3-1)
Goalkeeper: Manuel Neuer (Germany)
Honorable mentions: Keylor Navas (Costa Rica), Tim Howard (USA), Guillermo Ochoa (Mexico), Giancarlo Gonzalez (Costa Rica), Alexis Sanchez (Chile), Gary Medel (Chile), Jermaine Jones (USA), Juan Cuadrado (Colombia), Jackson Martinez (Colombia), Paul Pogba (France), Karim Benzema (France), Mathieu Valbuena (France), Vincent Kompany (Belgium), Kevin de Bruyne (Belgium), Thiago Silva (Brazil, Neymar (Brazil), Raphael Varane (France), Granit Xhaka (Switzerland), Xherdan Shaqiri (Switzerland), Ricardo Rodriguez (Switzerland), Robin van Persie (Netherlands), Stefan de Vrij (Netherlands), Hector Herrera (Mexico), Oribe Peralta (Mexico), Tim Cahill (Australia), Islam Slimani (Algeria), Rafik Halliche (Algeria), Sofiane Feghouli (Algeria), Martin Demichelis (Argentina)
- After Women’s World Cup triumph, Wambach, Ellis face questions about 2016 Olympics 0
- 2015 Copa America: Champions Chile dominate Team of the Tournament 0
- 2015 Gold Cup preview: United States look to defend title 0
- Official: Andrea Pirlo announces his arrival at New York City FC (video) 9
- GLORY IN PHOTOS: Our favorite shots from the USWNT’s winning evening in Vancouver 2
- CONCACAF lays out reform plan post-scandal: “People are right to be skeptical” 2