Jul 13, 2014, 2:58 PM EDT
Time for a gut check, Germany.
Sami Khedira, the box-to-box midfielder who sparkled for Germany in the last few matches, has picked up a calf injury in warmups enough so he cannot go in the World Cup final.
Instead, 23-year-old Christoph Kramer will take his place.
Kramer, who plays for Borussia Monchengladbach, has just four caps for the senior team compared to Khedira’s 51. He made his debut in a May friendly against Poland.
Khedira, a Real Madrid star, worked tirelessly to return from an ACL injury during the club season, and he returned just in time for the start of the World Cup. He looked shaky in the Champions League final for Madrid, but has been outstanding in Brazil.
- Van Gaal has interest in Ronaldo, doesn’t think Real Madrid will sell 2
- Americans Abroad preview: Guzan looks to keep Villa rolling 0
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 5 1
- Euro 2020 semis, final to be played at Wembley Stadium 1
- Sloppy USWNT 4-0 win over Mexico adds fuel to turf conversation fire 0
- MLS’s new logo: Reddit (yes, Reddit) may have a way to solve the league’s new problem 19