Jul 13, 2014, 2:58 PM EST
Time for a gut check, Germany.
Sami Khedira, the box-to-box midfielder who sparkled for Germany in the last few matches, has picked up a calf injury in warmups enough so he cannot go in the World Cup final.
Instead, 23-year-old Christoph Kramer will take his place.
Kramer, who plays for Borussia Monchengladbach, has just four caps for the senior team compared to Khedira’s 51. He made his debut in a May friendly against Poland.
Khedira, a Real Madrid star, worked tirelessly to return from an ACL injury during the club season, and he returned just in time for the start of the World Cup. He looked shaky in the Champions League final for Madrid, but has been outstanding in Brazil.
- Tesho Akindele brings FC Dallas its first MLS Rookie of the Year award 0
- Watch live: Aston Villa vs. Southampton (Lineups and Live Stream) 0
- Americans Abroad review: Boyd bags brace, Johannsson heads home (video) 2
- Premier League Preview: Aston Villa vs. Southampton 0
- Inside Look, MLS Cup Playoffs: How Revs, Galaxy built very different one-goal leads 1
- Recap: LA Galaxy grab 1-0 lead over Seattle Sounders in Western Conference Championship 1