Jul 14, 2014, 1:17 PM EDT
Those who actively watched some of the World Cup final’s first half likely remember more than a man who was on the field for a half-hour of it.
But a 14th minute elbow from Ezequiel Garay sent Kramer to the turf, and to the sidelines. He walked in two different directions on the way off the field before reentering. And after the 32nd minute, Kramer was off for good.
So what were his feelings when he was taken off the field in such a massive game?
“I can’t really remember much of the game,” he told German newspaper Die Welt after seeing his team-mates beat Argentina 1-0.
“I don’t know anything at all about the first half. I thought later that I left the game immediately after the tackle. I have no idea how I got to the changing rooms. I don’t know anything else. In my head, the game starts from the second half.”
The fact that Kramer was allowed back onto the pitch is frightening and incredibly dangerous. Treatment and diagnosis of head injuries may be an always-developing thing, but anyone with two eyes and TV screen could see that Kramer was not right following the collision.
Surely his instincts took over and laid out his desires to come back into the game. Judging by his memory, we have no business trusting the minds of a men or women whose brains have bounced against their skulls (Put that way, it makes sense, no?).
Let’s just be glad Kramer came off before we saw something absolutely horrific; Athletes who have played on after suffering a concussion have experienced many awful repercussions, including the ultimate one: death. Read up on the work done by the Sports Legacy Institute and you’ll understand a bit more.
It’s suggested that the human brain needs at least two weeks to recover from a concussion… not two minutes.
- Los Angeles officially given new MLS team; Magic Johnson, Vincent Tan among investors 0
- PST Extra: Getting you ready for The Manchester Derby (video) 0
- European clubs propose later domestic Cup finals, April-May World Cup in 2022 4
- Rumors know no window: Liverpool after Reus, Manchester United wants Draxler 2
- VIDEO: Hugely-controversial call sees FC Dallas past Vancouver in playoffs. Your vote? 5
- Timbers’ Steve Zakuani announces retirement from professional soccer 2