Jul 14, 2014, 12:00 PM EDT
Newcastle United’s French legion has gained another new member, as Remy Cabella has joined the Magpies from Montpellier for a fee believed to be around $20 million.
Cabella, 24, has signed a six-year deal at St. James’ Park after returning from the World Cup with France this summer.
The attacking midfielder has been chased by Newcastle manager Alan Pardew for quite some time and Cabella will fit in nicely with plethora of Frenchman already plying their trade in the North East.
Cabella scored 14 goals last season for Montpellier as they narrowly avoided relegation from Ligue 1, but just two years ago he was an integral member of their squad won the French title. He has quick feet and is creative player will add an extra attacking option for Pardew in midfield, as his side aim to improve on their 10th place finish during the 2013-14 Premier League season.
With French players Moussa Sissoko, Hatem Ben Arfa, Yoann Gouffran, Mapou Yanga-Mbwia, Massadio Haidara, Gabriel Obertan and Sylvain Marveaux already at Newcastle, Cabella should feel right at home.
However French international right back Matheiu Debuchy looks poised to seal his switch to Arsenal ahead of the new season, as he will follow in the footsteps of countryman Yohan Cabaye and leave Newcastle.
Cabella is Pardew’s fourth signing of the summer transfer window, as he joins Siem de Jong, Jack Colback and Ayoze Perez in the Magpies’ squad. Newcastle’s scouts seem to have found plenty of value in the French top-fight in recent years and are sticking with their strong connections in France to propel them forward this season.
Let’s see if Cabella will follow in Cabaye’s footsteps, or Obertan’s…
- Premier League Sunday preview: Manchester United vs. Chelsea headlines 0
- Seattle 2-0 L.A. Galaxy: Pappa the hero again, Sounders win 1st Shield 1
- Premier League roundup: Arsenal, Saints win, Manchester City stunned (video) 0
- Real Madrid 3-1 Barcelona: Real win El Clasico, Suarez returns 3
- Sunderland 0-2 Arsenal: Sanchez seals win after horrendous defending (video) 0
- VIDEO: Russell Brand crashes Sam Allardyce’s presser with a huge kiss 2