Jul 14, 2014, 10:49 AM EDT
They say a picture paints a thousands words.
Well, these snaps could perhaps depict even more. After 24-years without winning a World Cup, Germany finally delivered on the biggest stage of all to delight a nation.
[ RELATED: The story of the 2014 World Cup ]
Less than 24 hours since those incredible scenes played out at the Maracana Stadium in Rio de Janiero, the folks over at NBCNews.com put together a superb photo gallery of the game. That inspired me, so below is how the World Cup final played out.
RECAPPING THE 2014 WORLD CUP FINAL, IN PICTURES
It wasn’t Gonzalo Higuain‘s day, as the Argentina striker missed two glorious chances (plus had one disallowed) in the first half to give his side the lead.
In Berlin, the tension was unbearable for fans as Argentina and Germany battled it out in Brazil.
Back on the pitch at the Maracana, Higuain was smashed into by Neuer as tempers flared.
The Argentine defense held firm and forced extra time as Germany searched for the winner.
While Germany had to keep a close eye on Argentina’s captain Lionel Messi in the closing stages…
The moment Mario Gotze volleyed home the World Cup winner.
Cue scenes of jubilation back home in Germany…
… and in the stadium from the man of the hour.
Argentina’s fans were distraught as they saw their team give up a late goal.
Then the final whistle went as German players sunk to their knees and celebrated winning the 2014 World Cup.
Argentina’s players and manager look on and thought of what might have been.
As Germany lifted the fourth World Cup in their nations history.
- Chile 0-0 (4-1 PKs) Argentina: Chile’s first Copa America title in 99-year history (video) 1
- Lloyd, Brian prove crucial to United States’ turnaround at Women’s World Cup 1
- Report: Robin van Persie agrees to personal terms with Fenerbahce 3
- Copa America Final preview: Argentina looks for first title since 1993 against hosts Chile 0
- Transfer Rumor Roundup: KPB to Orlando City, Liverpool in for Brazilian teen 4
- Klinsmann on USMNT’s win over Guatemala: “I’m not happy with that performance” 3