Jul 14, 2014, 9:21 AM EDT
Cavani, 27, struggled for Uruguay at the World Cup after a season of playing out wide and second-fiddle to Zlatan Ibrahimovic at Paris Saint-Germain.
It seems as though the man they call El Matador wants out.
With the Premier League losing one top Uruguayan striker this summer, Luis Suarez, it seems like another could be on his way as Cavani tries to engineer a move to England. After signing for PSG for a whopping $94 million last summer, he scored 25 goals in 43 games in his debut season in France including both goals in Les Parisiens Coupe de la Ligue victory over Lyon.
Cavani is a fine physical specimen who could lead the line for any top PL side. His power, pace and eye for goal will make him a deadly acquisition, but Manchester United and Chelsea offering more than the $94 million PSG paid for him last summer is highly unlikely. It is also unlikely PSG will sell him for less than that.
Long-rumored with a switch to the PL, Cavani could get his wish this summer but it seems like the transfer fee could be a huge sticking point.
Chelsea have already signed Diego Costa for $60 million this summer, so they seem to be set for forwards. Manchester United have Wayne Rooney and Robin van Persie up top but Cavani could be exactly what Louis van Gaal’s men need to take the PL by storm next season. Apart from those two clubs, only Liverpool seem like a viable option financially as they certainly have the cash after selling Suarez to Barcelona for $128 million.
Expect this transfer story to rumble on between now and September 2 when the transfer window slams shut.
- Jose Mourinho says “best team lost,” attacks Arsenal’s defensive tactics, as Chelsea beaten at their own game 4
- Arsene Wenger, Jose Mourinho fail to shake hands, as Gunners boss finally prevails 1
- Three things we learned from Arsenal’s Community Shield win vs. Chelsea 0
- Arsenal 1-0 Chelsea: Oxlade-Chamberlain strike wins Gunners FA Community Shield 0
- Report: Manchester United, PSG agree to $70 million fee for Angel di Maria 2
- MLS Snapshot: Seattle Sounders 0-3 Vancouver Whitecaps (video) 3