Jul 15, 2014, 8:13 PM EDT
A photograph giveth, and a photograph taketh away.
The Belgian girl who saw her World Cup candid become an internet sensation has had it all come crashing down.
17-year-old Axelle Despiegelaere was photographed at the Maracana during Belgium’s Group H match against Russia, and social media exploded. Her beauty earned her a modeling contract with French cosmetics company L’Oreal.
However, the company has since cancelled the contract since a photograph from Despiegelaere’s Facebook page became public. The photograph shows her posing with a gun behind an oryx gazelle she had recently killed on a hunting trip to Africa.
The photograph, posted just a day before Belgium’s knockout round match with the United States, had a caption that read, “Hunting is not a matter of life or death. It’s much more important than that…this was about 1 year ago…ready to hunt Americans today haha.”
After the picture became public and backlash began, she removed it and posted, “Hi, I didn’t mean to offend anyone…it was a joke. Thanks for understanding.”
L’Oreal responded, saying, “L’Oreal Professionnel Belgium collaborated with [Despiegelaere] on an ad hoc basis to produce a video for social media use in Belgium. The contract has now been completed.”
The company said they were aware of the photograph before giving her the contract.
Despiegelaere completed a promotional video for L’Oreal, but that video has now been removed from the company’s Facebook page. It is still on YouTube, and can be seen here:
- MLS Atlanta urges David Beckham, Miami to share stadium with Dolphins 3
- Reality check: Outclassed by Real Madrid, what now for Liverpool? 0
- After winless October, USA drop out of top 20 in latest FIFA rankings 3
- PST’s MLS Rookie of the Year: Shipp, Hagglund, Akindele or Birnbaum? 0
- It’s official: World No. 3 Colombia to face USMNT in London on Nov. 14 0
- VIDEO: Top 10 goals of the MLS season (heading into the final weekend) 2