Jul 15, 2014, 8:53 AM EDT
Arturo Vidal is reportedly being chased by Manchester United.
The Chilean international certainly hasn’t squashed rumors about him heading to Old Trafford this summer, either.
Vidal, 27, has become a star at Juventus since arriving from Bayern Leverkusen in 2011. Last season he scored 11 times in 32 appearances and is under contract at Juve until 2017. He is recovering well from a knee injury he played through during the World Cup and is expected to be back in Turn for preseason training on July 28.
Speaking on a charity visit in his homeland after Chile’s World Cup campaign, Vidal had the following to say about a possible move to United.
“I’m not thinking of where I’m going to go, I want to take advantage of my holidays with the people I love,” Vidal said on Chilean television. Right now, I’m thinking of other things. Afterwards, when I arrive in Italy, I’ll see. I’m already at a great team, Juventus, so I will be just as calm if the Manchester United option falls through.”
After United’s struggles last season, one area badly needs reinforcement: central midfield. With the addition of young Spaniard Ander Herrera so far, bringing in Vidal would see the Red Devils’ engine room look completely different under Louis van Gaal. It needs to happen if they’re going to have success this season.
Vidal can press opponents high, has creative flair and adds goals. His combative style should suit the Premier League well and with his countryman Alexis Sanchez arriving at Arsenal, a Chilean invasion of the PL could be on the way.
The only stumbling block is likely to be the transfer fee, as Juve have slapped a $54 million price tag on Vidal’s head. If United can negotiate that, they may well have found a new heartbeat to their midfield and their team.
- The world wants Laura Bassett to know that her own goal is nothing to be ashamed of… 0
- Minnesota United misses MLS stadium deadline; Deputy commissioner speaks out 2
- Stoppage-time own goal sinks England, sends Japan to Women’s World Cup final 5
- Stars of CONCACAF: Ranking the top 10 players at the 2015 Gold Cup 7
- “Angel Di Maria has most talent at Manchester United,” says teammate. Agree? 10
- VIDEO: Breaking down the done deals and transfer gossip in PST Extra 0