Jul 15, 2014, 12:30 PM EST
Liverpool have reached an agreement with Benfica to buy Serbian winger Lazar Markovic.
On Tuesday the 20-year-old attacker has been unveiled by Liverpool, as the club announced the signing late on Tuesday.
[ RELATED: Reus to the Reds? ]
Portuguese giants Benfica confirmed that Markovic was on his way to Liverpool for $30 million and he has agreed a lucrative multi-year deal at Anfield.
Speaking to Liverpool’s website after agreeing the deal
“I am very happy that I have joined such a great club. I hope that I will fulfil the expectations of the supporters, coaches, players and all connected to the club. I have seen what the players are like, I have seen what the supporters are like, and I cannot wait to start playing here.”
Markovic has been tracked by Liverpool for months and was an integral part of Benfica’s squad which won the Portuguese title last year, plus made it to the Europa League final for the second-straight season.
The youngster, who joined the Eagles from Partizan Belgrade in 2013, made his international debut for Serbia at the age of 17. Last season he scored seven goals in 42 appearances for Benfica after putting in plenty of pacey performances out wide. He missed out on playing in the Europa League final after fighting with Juventus’ Mirki Vucinic on the subs bench in the semifinal. Liverpool will want to watch that hot-headed temper.
So, another young winger is set to arrive at Anfield now the paperwork is complete. He will be Brendan Rodgers’ fourth signing of the summer alongside Southampton duo Rickie Lambert and Adam Lallana, plus German midfielder Emre Can.
With more attackers needed to try and fill the void left behind by Luis Suarez‘s departure, Liverpool have jumped to snap up Markovic.
- MLS, union come together to avoid calamitous work stoppage 6
- Wednesday’s Premier League roundup: Chelsea, Man City win; six of top seven prevail 0
- Jose Mourinho says his Chelsea team “were brothers on the pitch” in crucial win 0
- West Ham United 0-1 Chelsea: Hazard’s header enough for league leaders (video) 0
- Queens Park Rangers 1-2 Arsenal: Red-hot Giroud helps Gunners to win (video) 0
- Newcastle United 0-1 Manchester United: Krul gaffe spoils Jonas return (video) 4