Jul 15, 2014, 6:21 PM EST
After impressing for Ecuador in the World Cup, Enner Valencia is on his way to the Premier League.
The Guardian reported early Tuesday that the 25-year-old was having a medical at West Ham United.
Now, according to Darren Lewis of the Daily Mirror, the deal is signed, sealed, and delivered.
With the Hammers relying heavily on an injury-prone Andy Carroll, the club can now lean on Valencia as well for goals. Valencia bagged 12 goals in 17 appearances for Pachuca in the 2014 Liga MX Clausura.
Ecuador crashed out of the World Cup in the group stage, but Valencia starred there as well. He scored a trio of goals, including a brace that led Ecuador over Honduras 2-1.
Meanwhile, Carroll dealt with foot injuries much of last year that limited him to just 15 appearances for the Hammers. After missing the club’s first 20 matches of the year, he picked up a straight red card in his third match back that forced him out of another three games. The England international finished the year with just three goals.
The fee could be significant, with The Guardian reporting it could be close to the club-record fee of around $25 million paid for Carroll.
Pachuca chairman Jesus Martinez told Ecuadorian media that he will only sell Valencia for a Liga MX record transfer fee.
“There are various offers for Enner Valencia, the strongest and closest to what the player and us are demanding is from a club from England,” Martinez said to Ecuagol. “I won’t talk about prices, but if he is sold, it will be the highest transfer fee ever in Mexican football, otherwise he won’t be sold.”
Martinez also mentioned he hopes to have financial benefit for Pachuca should West Ham eventually sell the striker.
- What to expect as USA, Premier League star Geoff Cameron joins ProSoccerTalk 0
- FIFA saga takes new twist: World Cup corruption report to be reviewed 0
- VOTE – Best choice for MLS expansion: Las Vegas, Sacramento or Minneapolis? 16
- Manchester United’s Radamel Falcao suffers new injury setback 0
- Mats Hummels to Manchester United rumors persist. Can it happen in January? 1
- Report: Arsenal have deal in place to sign Chelsea’s Petr Cech 1