Jul 16, 2014, 7:42 AM EDT
Jose Mourinho and Chelsea are starting to make some serious moves in the transfer market this summer.
All of them involving Atletico Madrid.
On Wednesday the Blues announced that a deal to sign Atletico’s left back Filipe Luis has been agreed, which comes less than 24 hours after they wrapped up a $55 million deal for Atletico striker Diego Costa.
Add in the fact that ‘keeper Thibaut Courtois (who spent the last two seasons on loan with Atletico) has also returned to Chelsea this summer, Mourinho’s men may want to switch to play in red and white stripes.
Luis, 28, is a wonderfully gifted left-sided player who can play at left back or on the left flank. He is comfortable on the ball, gets forward and the Brazilian impressed during Atletico’s breakout season in 2013-14. It is thought the deal for Luis will cost around $30 million, as Chelsea start to splash the cash they received for Juan Mata and David Luiz.
Chelsea release the following statement on their website.
Chelsea Football Club can confirm an agreement has been reached with Atletico Madrid for the transfer of Filipe Luis.
The move is subject to the 28-year-old left-back agreeing personal terms.
With Luis expected to wrap up personal terms fairly quickly and join the Stamford Bridge club, Mourinho will get an out-and-out left back to replace the departed Ashley Cole. The Chelsea veteran joined AS Roma as a free agent earlier this week and that left Chelsea having no recognized left back on their roster.
Spanish right back Cesar Azpilicueta played most of last season out of position on the left, as he is now likely to challenge Branislav Ivanovic for the right back slot.
Luis will add strength and depth to Chelsea’s backline, as Mourinho continues to rebuild his squad ahead of the new season.
- Klinsmann’s USMNT struggles, experimentation in friendlies: Does it really matter? 0
- Klinsmann explains philosophy behind mad scientist lineups, formations for USMNT 1
- Russia wants full points from match abandoned after Akinfeev struck in head by flare (video) 0
- MLS preview: FC Dallas vs. Sounders, Whitecaps vs. Timbers headline Week 4 0
- Report: Liverpool’s Daniel Sturridge to miss a month with hip injury 7
- EURO 2016 preview: Qualifying resumes for England, Spain, Germany, Italy 0