Jul 16, 2014, 8:51 PM EDT
Newcastle United have completed the signing of French striker Emmanuel Riviere from Monaco for an undisclosed fee believed to be in the range of $8 million.
Riviere is the fifth signing for Magpies boss Alan Pardew following a $12M deal for striker Siem de Jong from Ajax, a $3 million deal for striker Ayoze Perez from Tenerife, a $13.5 million deal for midfielder Remy Cabella from Montpellier and the free transfer of midfielder Jack Colback from Sunderland.
In one-and-a-half seasons with Monaco, Riviere made 50 appearances netting 17 times and looks to be part of Newcastle’s new attack following the departures of Shola Ameobi and Loic Remy. “This is an important signing because the striking area is one we really had to improve,” Pardew told the club’s website. “We have looked at Emmanuel for a while and we know he will score goals for us.”
Despite finishing 10th in the table last year, goalscoring was a major issue for the Magpies managing only 43 goals in 38 matches. Of those 43, 23 came from players now departed with Remy netting 14, Yohan Cabaye scoring seven and Ameobi claiming two. Riviere, who has represented France at the U-21 international but has yet to win a full cap, will be expected to make up a portion of that difference.
Riviere is a tall, pacy player who is known to be strong on the counter-attack, an area where Newcastle frequently look to nip opponents. Despite his powerful physique and ability to get in front of goal, however, Riviere has received criticism for his failure to finish at opportune times. Few doubt the talent, now it’s up to Newcastle unlock it.
- 2014-15 Premier League season review: PST’s Best XI of the Season 0
- Blatter’s “Wolf of Wall Street” moment could play out the exact same way 4
- Prince Ali Bin Al-Hussein withdraws from second vote; Cocky Blatter speaks in power, references “offshore” future 35
- FA Cup final preview: Aston Villa underdogs in Arsenal’s pursuit of back-to-back cups 0
- 2014-15 Premier League season review: PST’s Player of the Season 5
- Al-Hussein, Blatter address voters ahead of presidential election; First vote coming 6