Jul 16, 2014, 10:04 AM EST
Coming off the back of 64,207 people watching Seattle beat Cascadia rivals Portland 2-0 last Sunday, another bumper crowd is on the way in the Emerald City.
This time, the visit of Premier League side Tottenham Hotspur is getting Seattleites excited.
On Monday the Sounders released details that over 52,000 tickets have already been sold as fans clamber to see Seattle take on Spurs this Saturday, July 19.
With plenty more tickets expected to be sold in the coming days, don’t be surprised to see close to another sell-out at CenturyLink. Remarkable.
Tottenham may not have the star power they once possessed when Gareth Bale was around, but Mauricio Pochettino’s men are coming off the back of a sixth place finished in England’s top-flight and they are quietly optimistic about the upcoming season.
What does this incredible show of support from Seattle prove?
Nothing that we didn’t already know: the city in the Pacific North West loves soccer. Lots.
In the past huge crowds have welcomed the likes of Chelsea and Manchester United to CenturyLink, now it’s Tottenham’s turn to experience one of the best atmospheres in Major League Soccer.
Spurs play Seattle on Saturday at 4 p.m. ET, live on ESPN 2. The North Londoners then continue their tour of North America, as they travel to play two other MLS sides, the Chicago Fire and Toronto FC, before returning home for the new PL season.
We will be following the progress of all nine Premier League sides on tour in the U.S. this summer, so keep checking PST for all the latest updates.
- Newcastle United name John Carver head coach until end of 2014-15 season 0
- Transfer ban for Real Madrid? Probe launched after signing of Venezuelan kids 2
- Transfer rumor roundup: Ings to Tottenham Hotspur, Busquets to Manchester United 0
- Rodgers: Sturridge could face Chelsea in League Cup, certain to be back for Saturday vs. West Ham 0
- Sepp Blatter keeps talking trash at UEFA regarding FIFA election 4
- Sunday’s transfer rumor roundup: Konoplyanka to Everton, Clyne to Old Trafford 0