Jul 17, 2014, 10:42 PM EDT
Tottenham Hotspur will be in Seattle on Saturday for a friendly against the Sounders, but when Spurs take CenturyLink Field, neither midfielder Sandro nor defender Vlad Chiriches will be with Mauricio Pochettino’s team. Hampered by a virus, Sandro has been left out of the traveling squad, while a lower back problem means Chiriches may miss out on Tottenham’s North American tour.
Tottenham made the announcement on its website on Thursday, with matches at Toronto and Chicago looming after the team’s done in Seattle. The three-game, eight-day trip leaves no time for Sandro or Chiriches to rejoin the squad.
Vlad Chiriches and Sandro have been withdrawn from the travelling party for the pre-season tour of the United States and Canada.
Romania defender Vlad has been complaining of stiffness in his lower back and is continuing to be assessed to determine the extent of the problem, while Sandro is recovering from a virus and has been kept behind on medical advice to avoid the risk of spreading the infection.
The rest of the squad arrived in Seattle on Thursday, with the club releasing a series of images from Sea-Tac airport on its website.
As would be expected, a number of Spurs players are experiencing the United States for the first time. Midfielder Christian Eriksen:
“I’ve never been to America before, so I’ve a lot to see and I’m looking forward to it. I’ve always wanted to go there, maybe on a holiday, but now I’m going with the team and I’ll see what it’s all about.”
Spurs will return home for friendlies against Celtic and Schalke before starting the Premier League season Aug. 16 at Wast Ham United.
- Open Cup final preview: Is a championship coming to Philly tonight? 0
- Arsenal’s defending depth fears could be on display against Dortmund 4
- UEFA Champions League group stage: PST staff’s preview and predictions 0
- Hull City 2-2 West Ham United: Debut goals a-plenty in fun draw 0
- Americans Abroad wrap: Brek Shea assists in Birmingham debut (video) 0
- Champions League preview: How will the four Premier League teams get on? 0