Jul 17, 2014, 2:30 PM EST
The ESPYS happened in LA on Wednesday and there was a focus on soccer as star athletes from across the U.S. came together to celebrate.
Canadian rapper Drake was the host, as the glitzy event honored the biggest names in sport over the past year.
The U.S. national team were handed one of the biggest gongs of the night, as captain Clint Dempsey and several other U.S. players accepted the award for “best moment” of the year. Watch the video above to see the acceptance speech.
That moment was when John Brooks scored the game-winner against Ghana in the dying stages of the USA’s opening match of the 2014 World Cup. That moment of euphoria when Brooks’ header hit the back of the net will live long in the memory of U.S. fans and it was honored on Wednesday.
Elsewhere on the domestic soccer scene, Tim Cahill was awarded as the best athlete in Major League Soccer. Would we agree with that?
The Australian international has certainly been consistent and was a driving force behind the New York Red Bulls winning the 2013 Supporters’ Shield. Cahill beat Marco Di Vaio, Robbie Keane and Mike Magee to the award but wasn’t on hand to collect it as he was playing for New York against the Union.
Congratulations to the U.S. and Cahill from ProSoccerTalk.
- Tesho Akindele brings FC Dallas its first MLS Rookie of the Year award 0
- Watch live: Aston Villa vs. Southampton (Lineups and Live Stream) 0
- Americans Abroad review: Boyd bags brace, Johannsson heads home (video) 2
- Premier League Preview: Aston Villa vs. Southampton 0
- Inside Look, MLS Cup Playoffs: How Revs, Galaxy built very different one-goal leads 1
- Recap: LA Galaxy grab 1-0 lead over Seattle Sounders in Western Conference Championship 1