Jul 17, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
The ESPYS happened in LA on Wednesday and there was a focus on soccer as star athletes from across the U.S. came together to celebrate.
Canadian rapper Drake was the host, as the glitzy event honored the biggest names in sport over the past year.
The U.S. national team were handed one of the biggest gongs of the night, as captain Clint Dempsey and several other U.S. players accepted the award for “best moment” of the year. Watch the video above to see the acceptance speech.
That moment was when John Brooks scored the game-winner against Ghana in the dying stages of the USA’s opening match of the 2014 World Cup. That moment of euphoria when Brooks’ header hit the back of the net will live long in the memory of U.S. fans and it was honored on Wednesday.
Elsewhere on the domestic soccer scene, Tim Cahill was awarded as the best athlete in Major League Soccer. Would we agree with that?
The Australian international has certainly been consistent and was a driving force behind the New York Red Bulls winning the 2013 Supporters’ Shield. Cahill beat Marco Di Vaio, Robbie Keane and Mike Magee to the award but wasn’t on hand to collect it as he was playing for New York against the Union.
Congratulations to the U.S. and Cahill from ProSoccerTalk.
- Report: De Gea moving to Madrid as Costa Rican hero Navas heads to Old Trafford 3
- Fireworks as transfer deadline passes in Germany: Draxler to Wolfsburg, Januzaj to Dortmund 1
- Premier League Playback: It’s time to change the Transfer Window rules 1
- Draxler, Pogba, Januzaj headline 10 deals to monitor as we near Transfer Deadline Day 1
- Manchester United to add new $56 million striker as Monaco’s Martial leaves France duty 1
- Done Deals: De Bruyne joins Manchester City in busy day for Wolfsburg 2