Jul 17, 2014, 1:00 PM EST
On Wednesday evening four games played out in Major League Soccer as the league took advantage of a lull in other professional sports across the U.S.
Below is a brief roundup of the four matches, as midweek MLS action helped to fill our soccer void now the World Cup has ended.
[RELATED: Latest MLS standings]
There were wins for Sporting KC, Philadelphia and LA, while Canadian foes Toronto and Vancouver battled it out in Ontario.
Here’s the scoop on what went down.
Columbus 1-2 Sporting KC
An eventful match played out at Crew Stadium as SKC grabbed a late, late win. Two red cards saw Aurelien Collin and Will Trapp sent off in a feisty encounter. C.J. Sapong gave Sporting the lead but an own goal from Igor Julião made it 1-1. Deep into stoppage time Benny Feilhaber scored the winner in dramatic fashion.
LA Galaxy 5-1 New England
New England have lost five-straight as they were battered by a rampant Galaxy side. Robbie Keane smashed in a worldy in his double, Gyasi Zardes also scored twice and Stefan Ishizaki completed the rout. Lee Nguyen with the consolation for the Revs.
Philadelphia Union 3-1 New York Red Bulls
Conor Casey, Sebastian Le Toux and Fred put Philadelphia ahead and MLS-leading scorer Bradley Wright-Phillips bagged another for the Red Bulls. The Union grabbed their first win in seven home games.
Toronto FC 1-1 Vancouver Whitecaps
Jermain Defoe rescued Toronto FC, again, as the Reds fought back to bag a point against Canadian rivals Vancouver. The ‘Caps took the lead through Darren Mattocks just after the break, then Defoe scored off a PK 15 minutes later.
- Marvell Wynne, Bakary Soumare headline Stage 2 of MLS Re-Entry Draft results 0
- Premier League Power Rankings: Arsenal, Everton rising, Saints falling 1
- Robbie Rogers: FIFA “insane” to host World Cups in Russia, Qatar 4
- Stoke City confirm Brek Shea is finalizing move to Orlando City 1
- Soccer stadium approved in Las Vegas, as MLS expansion talk heats up in Sin City 2
- Borussia Dortmund’s Marco Reus fined $665,000 for driving without a license 1