Jul 17, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
On Wednesday evening four games played out in Major League Soccer as the league took advantage of a lull in other professional sports across the U.S.
Below is a brief roundup of the four matches, as midweek MLS action helped to fill our soccer void now the World Cup has ended.
[RELATED: Latest MLS standings]
There were wins for Sporting KC, Philadelphia and LA, while Canadian foes Toronto and Vancouver battled it out in Ontario.
Here’s the scoop on what went down.
Columbus 1-2 Sporting KC
An eventful match played out at Crew Stadium as SKC grabbed a late, late win. Two red cards saw Aurelien Collin and Will Trapp sent off in a feisty encounter. C.J. Sapong gave Sporting the lead but an own goal from Igor Julião made it 1-1. Deep into stoppage time Benny Feilhaber scored the winner in dramatic fashion.
LA Galaxy 5-1 New England
New England have lost five-straight as they were battered by a rampant Galaxy side. Robbie Keane smashed in a worldy in his double, Gyasi Zardes also scored twice and Stefan Ishizaki completed the rout. Lee Nguyen with the consolation for the Revs.
Philadelphia Union 3-1 New York Red Bulls
Conor Casey, Sebastian Le Toux and Fred put Philadelphia ahead and MLS-leading scorer Bradley Wright-Phillips bagged another for the Red Bulls. The Union grabbed their first win in seven home games.
Toronto FC 1-1 Vancouver Whitecaps
Jermain Defoe rescued Toronto FC, again, as the Reds fought back to bag a point against Canadian rivals Vancouver. The ‘Caps took the lead through Darren Mattocks just after the break, then Defoe scored off a PK 15 minutes later.
- EURO 2016 preview: Qualifying resumes for England, Spain, Germany, Italy 0
- Lionel Messi earns $1.4 million per week, tops Cristiano Ronaldo, Neymar as richest player 2
- Morgan Schneiderlin wants Southampton exit if they fail to make UEFA Champions League 4
- VIDEO: Cristiano Ronaldo could be fined, suspended for “calm down” celebration 4
- Three things we learned from the USA’s late defeat vs. Denmark 6
- Player ratings: How did the USMNT fare in defeat to Denmark? 5