Jul 17, 2014, 8:55 AM EDT
Two London giants are set to square off to sign Sami Khedira.
On Wednesday Arsenal were believed to be chasing a $30 million deal for Khedira, as the 27-year-old German international looks likely to leave Real Madrid this summer.
[RELATED: Arsenal agree Khedira deal]
According to reports from the Daily Express in England, Chelsea are now in on the act, as Jose Mourinho is set to offload John Obi-Mikel to fund the move for Khedira.
Mourinho and Arsene Wenger are set to battle it out.
The German international is powerful, can play in the holding role or further forward and shone in the World Cup over the summer. His style of play should suit the Premier League superbly, that’s why both Arsenal and Chelsea are desperate to get him on board.
Plus Khedira could arrive on the cheap.
With just one-year on his deal at Real left following his switch from VFB Stuttgart back in 2010, Khedira could arrive for just $30 million. That is incredibly cheap for an international caliber midfielder who would improve both Chelsea and Arsenal’s midfield instantly.
Khedira would be something completely different for the Gunners, as his pace, power and size would compliment the creative flair of Aaron Ramsey, Jack Wilshere, Mikel Arteta and Mesut Ozil. Khedira would add a robust core to Arsenal’s midfield, while Chelsea would love to have Khedira shielding the back four to let the likes of Oscar, Eden Hazard and Cesc Fabregas run free.
The race for Khedira is well and truly on.
- Sunderland 0-2 Arsenal: Sanchez seals win after horrendous defending 0
- VIDEO: Russell Brand crashes Sam Allardyce’s presser with a huge kiss 2
- West Ham United 2-1 Manchester City: Hammers stun reigning champs 1
- WATCH: Premier League online via NBC Sports Live Extra – Week 9 0
- Chicago Fire 2-1 Houston Dynamo: Stoppage-time winner caps off Chicago comeback (VIDEO) 1
- Premier League Preview: Sunderland vs. Arsenal 0