Jul 17, 2014, 8:55 AM EST
Two London giants are set to square off to sign Sami Khedira.
On Wednesday Arsenal were believed to be chasing a $30 million deal for Khedira, as the 27-year-old German international looks likely to leave Real Madrid this summer.
[RELATED: Arsenal agree Khedira deal]
According to reports from the Daily Express in England, Chelsea are now in on the act, as Jose Mourinho is set to offload John Obi-Mikel to fund the move for Khedira.
Mourinho and Arsene Wenger are set to battle it out.
The German international is powerful, can play in the holding role or further forward and shone in the World Cup over the summer. His style of play should suit the Premier League superbly, that’s why both Arsenal and Chelsea are desperate to get him on board.
Plus Khedira could arrive on the cheap.
With just one-year on his deal at Real left following his switch from VFB Stuttgart back in 2010, Khedira could arrive for just $30 million. That is incredibly cheap for an international caliber midfielder who would improve both Chelsea and Arsenal’s midfield instantly.
Khedira would be something completely different for the Gunners, as his pace, power and size would compliment the creative flair of Aaron Ramsey, Jack Wilshere, Mikel Arteta and Mesut Ozil. Khedira would add a robust core to Arsenal’s midfield, while Chelsea would love to have Khedira shielding the back four to let the likes of Oscar, Eden Hazard and Cesc Fabregas run free.
The race for Khedira is well and truly on.
- Premier League Playback: When will Arsenal, Liverpool snap out of their funk? 1
- 2014’s Top Ten moments in Premier League – Numbers 5-1 3
- Watch Live: Stoke City vs. Chelsea (Lineups and Live Stream) 0
- 2014’s Top Ten moments in Premier League – Numbers 10-6 0
- NBC Sports to air first-ever “Premier League Breakaway” show on New Year’s Day 0
- DeAndre Yedlin granted work permit, heading to Tottenham Hotspur 6