Jul 17, 2014, 10:17 AM EDT
Reigning European Champions Real Madrid certainly aren’t messing around during the offseason.
[RELATED: Rodriguez rules the WC]
Rodriguez, 23, was the Golden Boot winner at the 2014 World Cup in Brazil as he scored six goals in five games for Los Cafeteros. Since then the Colombian forward has professed his love for Real and has been quoted as saying a move to the Spanish giants would be “a dream come true.”
Turns out dreams do come true.
According to Spanish publication AS, Rodriguez has agreed to personal terms and Real are now smoothing over a deal with Monaco for the talented young attacker. The fee of $107 million would see Monaco make almost $40 million on the deal after they signed Rodriguez from FC Porto last summer. After only scoring nine times for Monaco in the 2013-14 season, Rodriguez had a breakout World Cup campaign and guided Colombia to the quarterfinals after several stunning goals.
Right now, it is hard to see where Rodriguez would slot into the Real Madrid side.
The report in AS suggests that Angel di Maria is being offloaded by Real to fund the deal as Paris Saint-Germain are willing to pay $80 million for the Argentine winger.
So, if Rodriguez arrives at the Santiago Bernabue this summer, he could play in an attacking midfield role alongside Toni Kroos next season with Cristiano Ronaldo, Gareth Bale and Karem Benzema ahead of them.
Talk about Los Galacticos…
[RELATED: Toni Kroos completes move to Real Madrid]
- Premier League Playback: Looking back at a memorable 2014-15 season 0
- Didier Drogba open to Major League Soccer move after leaving Chelsea 1
- Real Madrid president asked what’s wrong with Carlo Ancelotti: “I don’t know” 1
- In a career full of blunders, firing Carlo Ancelotti is Florentino Perez’s worst mistake yet 6
- 2014-15 Premier League season review: The managers 0
- Florentino Perez announces firing of Carlo Ancelotti by Real Madrid 0