Jul 18, 2014, 2:16 PM EDT
It’s just a friendly, but Terrence Boyd has struck a blow in the ongoing battle to play a role in the United States strike force.
Playing his first match for Red Bull Leipzig, Boyd needed just 25 minutes to strike. His goal was an equalizer against visiting Paris Saint-Germain, as he was Johnny-on-the-spot to tap home a PSG rebound. You can watch the goal here.
Boyd was effective in the first half, and was impressive aside from the goal with darting runs and good positioning. Boyd, like his peer Zlatan Ibrahimovic on PSG, was pulled at halftime.
Boyd joined Leipzig from Austria’s Rapid Wien this offseason, but failed to make the USMNT’s 23-man roster for the World Cup.
Boyd, 23, scored 20 goals for Rapid Wien across all competitions last season before sealing his transfer back home to Germany. He began his career with the second-tier clubs for Hertha Berlin and Borussia Dortmund before heading to Austria in 2012.
Mix Diskerud came on for the final 19 minutes of Rosenborg’s Europa League qualifier against Sligo Rovers. He was in front of the keeper for the lone Rosenborg goal in a 2-1 loss, and initially credited with a goal, but it was reversed to an own goal. It doesn’t look like he touched it in the video, if you fancy a view.
Brek Shea made Mark Hughes’ list of 23 players headed to Germany for Stoke City’s preseason tour. Geoff Cameron won’t be on the trip, but there will be plenty of pressure on the other American, Shea, to prove he belongs.
Finally, the web site Soccer Over There was snooping around the Bayern Munich web site and noted that Julian Green is listed as a first team player.
- EURO 2016 qualifying roundup: Netherlands, Italy rescue draws; Bale, Wales go top 0
- Klinsmann’s USMNT struggles, experimentation in friendlies: Does it really matter? 2
- Klinsmann explains philosophy behind mad scientist lineups, formations for USMNT 6
- Russia wants full points from match abandoned after Akinfeev struck in head by flare (video) 0
- MLS preview: FC Dallas vs. Sounders, Whitecaps vs. Timbers headline Week 4 0
- Report: Liverpool’s Daniel Sturridge to miss a month with hip injury 7