Philipp Lahm retires from German national team after World Cup win

Jul 18, 2014, 8:25 AM EST

Germany Soccer WCup Homecoming AP

Germany will have a new captain for its defense of the World Cup title.

Philipp Lahm, 30, has retired from international duty after leading Die Mannschaft to its fourth World Cup championship.

He earned 113 caps and five goals in a 10-year span with the senior team, and will continue as a player for Bayern Munich. He’s been with the Bavarians since age 11, apart from a couple seasons on loan to Stuttgart from 2003-05.

Here’s what Lahm said in an open letter on the German national team’s web site:

“During last season I made a decision to end my international career after the World Cup.

“I shared my decision with Germany coach Joachim Löw at breakfast on Monday. I am happy and thankful that the end of my national team career coincided with winning the World Cup in Brazil.

“I have been on holiday for the past three days and here have had the quiet and time to mentally come to terms with the end of my national team career. A heartfelt thank you for a wonderful time.”

Lahm goes out on top, as a member of the champions and the FIFA World Cup Top XI. He’s been named to the World Cup All-Star Team in 2006, 2010 and 2014.

There shouldn’t be a worry about leadership drop-off, as Bastian Schweinsteiger has been vice-captain under Joachim Low.

1. jhnyr45 - Jul 18, 2014 at 9:26 AM

Danke Phillip! great player, but as i have said before, Schweinsteiger always felt like the natural captain

• patriotsdefense - Jul 18, 2014 at 8:37 PM

very true about Schweinsteiger, and its true for both Club and Country btw…

2. martin492013 - Jul 18, 2014 at 9:29 AM

Lahm was a great CAPTAIN!!!! I somehow hope that he can be persuaded to play in the Euro……..Pure Class on and off the field.

3. mikeevergreen - Jul 18, 2014 at 10:27 AM

Two years, Philip, and you can come to MLS. Ask your old pal Arne Friedrich about Chicago Fire.

• redrock81 - Jul 18, 2014 at 11:51 AM

He still has a long term contract with Bayern Munich. Him and Muller signed their contracts before the start of the WC.

4. redrock81 - Jul 18, 2014 at 11:41 AM

I’m stunned! One of the reasons why I liked Lahm was that he wasn’t the stereotypical captain. He didn’t have an imposing presence like Ballack did and most of the time looks younger than the rest of the team. Lahm has always been a quiet leader that leads by example, he’s versatile and intelligent, undoubtedly the best right back in the world, never plays a bad game, never dives and in more than 300 matches for Bayern and Germany has had zero red cards to his name.

Quite an amazing player and role model. I still remember the 2006 WC and that jaw-dropping long range goal (Germany vs Costa Rica). That was the first goal in the 2006 WC and he scored it. Its quite fitting that he ends his international career lifting the World Cup as Germany’s Captain. Thank you, Phillip. We will miss the quiet greatness you brought to the beautiful game.

• mikeevergreen - Jul 18, 2014 at 2:50 PM

He’s 30, which is the age most fullbacks start to slow down, which means he might not be in the lineup for France 2016. Go out on top.

5. martin492013 - Jul 18, 2014 at 2:05 PM

Lahm is one of a kind…….I love watching his pop up with the ball at his feet slide tackle a thing of beauty…….Great Caption and glad he has a WC trophy for his tremendous efforts.

PST Extra: Top 4 showdowns on Sunday