Jul 18, 2014, 4:44 PM EDT
Unless you’re a huge fan of Brazil’s Maicon or Greece’s Vasilis Torosidis, Roma’s roster for the upcoming Champions Cup has all the names you’d expect from last year’s Serie A runners up. Between captain Francisco Totti, Italian international Daniele De Rossi, and the newly signed Ashley Cole, the Giallorossi are bringing all their stars to the United States later this month, with only those who played in the World Cup knockout round set to stay behind in Italy.
That means Kevin Strootman, whose injury cost a the midfielder chance to help the Dutch’s semifinal run in Brazil, will be with the team when it faces former Netherlands boss Louis van Gaal and Manchester United on July 26 in Denver. Both Miralem Pjanic and Gervinho, who played in Brazil but were not part of the knockout stage, are in Rudi Garcia’s team, as are Seydou Keita, Juan Iturbe, Urby Emanuelson, and loanee Salih Uçan, who’ve join the team this summer.
Before starting its Champions Cup in Denver, Roma will face Liverpool on July 23 at Fenway Park. From there, it’s on to Denver, then Dallas to face Real Madrid (July 29) before finishing Champions Cup group play against Milan in Philadelphia on Aug. 2.
Here’s Roma’s full Champions Cup squad:
Goalkeepers: Bogdon Lubont, Morgan De Sanctis, Tomas Svedkauskas, Lucasz Skorupski
Defenders: Petar Golubovic, Ashley Cole, Leandro Castan, Alessio Romagnoli, Mehdi Benatia, Michele Somma, Mihai Balasa, Urby Emanuelson, Elio Capradossi
Midfielders: Radja Nainggolan, Kevin Strootman, Francesco Totti, Daniele De Rossi, Miralem Pjanic, Seydou Keita, Leandro Paredes, Salih Ucan,
Forwards: Juan Manuel Iturbe, Adem Ljajic, Marco Borriello, Mattia Destro, Alessandro Florenzi, Gervinho, Stefano Pettinari, Antonio Sanabria
- Report: Manchester United make $45 million bid for Sergio Ramos 1
- Foot injury forces DF Hector Moreno to withdraw from Mexico’s 2015 Gold Cup squad 0
- Chile 2-1 Peru: Vargas’ wondergoal puts the hosts through to Copa America final (video) 0
- Men in Blazers podcast special: USWNT’s Klingenberg talks defense, Germany, karate 1
- It’s official: Petr Cech has swapped London clubs, Chelsea to Arsenal 4
- Spanish football league becomes first to take legal action over Qatar World Cup dates 3