Jul 19, 2014, 10:14 AM EST
Juventus have announced the signing of Álvaro Morata from Real Madrid. The 21-year-old joins on a three year, €20m deal (~$27m). He will wear the #9 jersey.
The agreement isn’t entirely straightforward, however. While not a loan, Real do have a buy-back option included in the contract. Juventus will pay the €20m over the course of three years, but the Madrid club could buy Morata back at the end of the 2015-2016 or 2016-2017 season, with the cost rising up to €30m (~$40m).
A bit of a tough situation, isn’t it? Juventus will want their new signing to excel, helping them secure their fourth straight scudetto. But they don’t want him to do so well that Real come calling in two years, demanding him back. Strange agreements, these buy-back clauses.
But Juventus might just be glad they’ve managed to land their man. The transfer deal stalled earlier this week, after Antonio Conte resigned and Max Allegri was appointed. With other clubs sniffing around, though, Juventus did not have time to waste, and did well to convince Morata to complete his move.
Morata scored eight goals in 23 La Liga appearances for Real Madrid last season, but the forward will be hoping for even more in the upcoming year. He never received regular playing time at his former club, the consistency needed to develop into a true elite. Both he and his club will hope his skills develop with this move to Italy. Juventus have both the title to defend and the Champions League trophy to face, so Morata should have plenty of opportunities to showcase his talents.
- Report: Chelsea join Manchester United in chase for Nathaniel Clyne 1
- CONCACAF Champions League: D.C. United battered by Alajualense, 5-2 1
- Keller, Hejduk, Conrad headline 13 new eligibles for National Soccer HOF 0
- Europa League roundup: Tottenham, Liverpool out; Everton, La Liga sides advance 0
- Besiktas 1-0 (1-1) Liverpool: Arslan makes, Lovren misses final PK as Reds go out of Europe 8
- Fiorentina ousts Tottenham from the Europa League with 2-0 win at the Stadio Artemio Franchi 1