Jul 19, 2014, 12:45 PM EDT
Mohamed Salah may have just joined Chelsea last January, but already, his future with the club is in doubt. Yet not for the reasons you might think — the winger did not put out a series of bad performances last season, nor did he upset the famously temperamental José Mourinho.
No, the reason is that Salah may need to return to his native Egypt to complete a mandatory period of military service, which could range anywhere from twelve months to three years. The 22-year-old was previously permitted to live and play in England based on his participation in an educational program, but the Minister of Higher Education in Egypt has rescinded his registration in the program. Now, he may be ordered to return home.
First, though, there will be a meeting between the Minister, the Egyptian FA and the national team coaching staff, during which they will attempt to find a solution to the dilemma.
- VIDEO: “I Was There” visits LA Blues and LA Red Army for Chelsea’s win over United 0
- VIDEO: Bayern Munich’s Thomas Muller grabs megaphone, leads fans’ celebrations 3
- Bayern Munich 6-1 (7-4, agg.) FC Porto: Bayern obliterate Porto to reach UCL semifinal 2
- Barcelona 2-0 (5-1, agg.) Paris Saint-Germain: Neymar brace eases Barca into Champions League semifinals 0
- FOLLOW LIVE – Champions League: Bayern Munich, PSG aim to overturn 3-1 deficits to Barcelona, FC Porto 0
- Chris Smalling signs new Manchester United contract through 2019 0