Jul 19, 2014, 12:45 PM EST
Mohamed Salah may have just joined Chelsea last January, but already, his future with the club is in doubt. Yet not for the reasons you might think — the winger did not put out a series of bad performances last season, nor did he upset the famously temperamental José Mourinho.
No, the reason is that Salah may need to return to his native Egypt to complete a mandatory period of military service, which could range anywhere from twelve months to three years. The 22-year-old was previously permitted to live and play in England based on his participation in an educational program, but the Minister of Higher Education in Egypt has rescinded his registration in the program. Now, he may be ordered to return home.
First, though, there will be a meeting between the Minister, the Egyptian FA and the national team coaching staff, during which they will attempt to find a solution to the dilemma.
- Watch Live: Documentary showcasing Arsenal’s “Invincibles” 0
- Three things we learned from Liverpool’s win vs. Manchester City 2
- Liverpool 2-1 Manchester City: Pair of Reds stunners stupefy City 2
- MLS roundup: LA Galaxy, Orlando, Red Bulls, Union, RSL, 13 others in preseason finales 0
- WATCH: NYCFC’s Mix Diskerud hits a screamer from 20 yards 0
- WATCH: Michael Bradley, Sebastian Giovinco combine for Jozy Altidore’s first Toronto FC goal 4