Jul 19, 2014, 12:45 PM EDT
Mohamed Salah may have just joined Chelsea last January, but already, his future with the club is in doubt. Yet not for the reasons you might think — the winger did not put out a series of bad performances last season, nor did he upset the famously temperamental José Mourinho.
No, the reason is that Salah may need to return to his native Egypt to complete a mandatory period of military service, which could range anywhere from twelve months to three years. The 22-year-old was previously permitted to live and play in England based on his participation in an educational program, but the Minister of Higher Education in Egypt has rescinded his registration in the program. Now, he may be ordered to return home.
First, though, there will be a meeting between the Minister, the Egyptian FA and the national team coaching staff, during which they will attempt to find a solution to the dilemma.
- Premier League Sunday preview: Manchester United vs. Chelsea headlines 3
- Seattle 2-0 L.A. Galaxy: Pappa the hero again, Sounders win 1st Shield 3
- Premier League roundup: Arsenal, Saints win, Manchester City stunned (video) 0
- Real Madrid 3-1 Barcelona: Real win El Clasico, Suarez returns 5
- Sunderland 0-2 Arsenal: Sanchez seals win after horrendous defending (video) 0
- VIDEO: Russell Brand crashes Sam Allardyce’s presser with a huge kiss 3