Jul 19, 2014, 6:59 AM EDT
New York City FC won’t play its first game until 2015, but that isn’t stopping the club from adding plenty of star power to its roster. The latest player set to join their ranks is Frank Lampard, who should complete his move next week.
Lampard, Chelsea’s all-time leading goalscorer, has been without a club since the end of June, after being released from the Blues. The 36-year-old won three Premier League titles as well as both the Champions League and Europa League trophies in his thirteen years with Chelsea. He also has over 100 caps for England and has appeared in the last three World Cups, although he only saw the pitch against Costa Rica while in Brazil.
Should Lampard complete his signing with NYCFC, he will join up with the club’s first signing David Villa. The former Barcelona and Atlético Madrid forward is set to go on loan with A-League side Melborne City, New York’s sister club. Lampard could very well join Villa there as a stop-gap before the 2015 Major League Soccer season begins.
Considering head coach Jason Kreis declared NYCFC will have three designated players in its first season, you have to wonder who else might end up playing for the club. There’ve long been rumors linking them to Xavi Hernandez, who looks set to leave Barcelona — but who also could well be on his way to Qatar. It’s also possible that the connection to Manchester City could pay off come winter, when marginal players elect to move to New York for more chance at playing time.
Who would you like to see NYCFC pick up before their first match?
- Klinsmann’s USMNT struggles, experimentation in friendlies: Does it really matter? 0
- Klinsmann explains philosophy behind mad scientist lineups, formations for USMNT 2
- Russia wants full points from match abandoned after Akinfeev struck in head by flare (video) 0
- MLS preview: FC Dallas vs. Sounders, Whitecaps vs. Timbers headline Week 4 0
- Report: Liverpool’s Daniel Sturridge to miss a month with hip injury 7
- EURO 2016 preview: Qualifying resumes for England, Spain, Germany, Italy 0