Jul 19, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT
Reports out of England suggest Loïc Rémy will be a Liverpool player by the end of next week. The club have agreed to a £8m (~$13.7m) fee with Queens Park Rangers for the striker, although personal terms have yet to be worked out.
And that’s where the trouble may lie. It’s believed Arsenal were priced out of a deal for Rémy, as his wages are estimated to be close to £90,000 a week (~$154,000). However, a release clause in the Frenchman’s contract allows for his low transfer fee, so the Reds may have money available to meet his high wage demands.
Brendan Rodgers is keen that Rémy not be seen as a direct replacement for Luis Suárez, who is, of course, off to Barcelona. Instead, he and Daniel Sturridge will compete for starts, while Liverpool continue to supplement their squad to make up for the loss of Suárez and his 33 goals.
Rémy can, of course, score goals — he netted 14 times in 26 appearances for Newcastle last season. But with Sturridge’s performances last season, is it all that likely he will be ousted as the starting center-forward? It’s possible that they will play alongside each other at times. But it is equally likely that Rémy is being added to provide depth to the squad.
Liverpool, after all, will be stretched by competing in the Champions League in the upcoming season. The additional games, combined with the loss of Suárez, could certainly hurt their pursuit of the Premier League title. But should Rémy pan out, he will be the fifth player to join the Reds this summer, meaning Rodgers is likely well on his way to ensuring that his side is able to hold their own in all competitions.
- Three things we learned from Arsenal’s Community Shield win vs. Chelsea 0
- Arsenal 1-0 Chelsea: Oxlade-Chamberlain strike wins Gunners FA Community Shield 0
- Report: Manchester United, PSG agree to $70 million fee for Angel di Maria 1
- MLS Snapshot: Seattle Sounders 0-3 Vancouver Whitecaps (video) 0
- MLS Snapshot: Orlando City SC 5-2 Columbus Crew SC (video) 0
- MLS Snapshot: D.C. United 6-4 Real Salt Lake (video) 0