Jul 20, 2014, 1:15 PM EDT
Remember when Sergio Ramos dropped the Coppa del Rey while celebrating Real Madrid’s victory in the Spanish cup? And how the bus then drove over the trophy? Well, Germany have managed something even more embarrassing.
Yes, Die Nationalmannschaft have managed to take a piece out of the World Cup. When Germany returned home with the trophy, wild celebrations ensued in Berlin, complete with a dramatic unveiling of Philipp Lahm holding the prize aloft.
But somewhere amidst all the jumping, frolicking and merriment-making, the Cup sustained a bit of damage. In fact, a small piece of it is now missing, as the German Football Federation president president Wolfgang Niersbach revealed.
“At one point, a small piece of our World Cup trophy was chipped off,” Niersbach told Die Welt. “But do not worry! We have specialists on the case who can fix it. We have investigated persistently who it was that damaged the trophy, but the investigation was concluded without a result.”
So no one wants to ‘fess up to breaking the big prize, huh? That’s very surprising. But whoever the culprit is, they can find comfort in knowing that at least they did not destroy the real thing. Unlike the Jules Rimet trophy, which Brazil was allowed to keep after winning their third World Cup in 1970, the current FIFA World Cup Trophy cannot be won outright.
What Germany took home is a replica, made of bronze and plated with gold, rather than the solid gold cup that presumably sits behind locked gates and armed guards. Still, you’ve got to imagine someone is feeling a bit sheepish right about now, as that trophy is a rather nice souvenir to be putting on display.
- Premier League Sunday preview: Manchester United vs. Chelsea headlines 0
- Seattle 2-0 L.A. Galaxy: Pappa the hero again, Sounders win 1st Shield 2
- Premier League roundup: Arsenal, Saints win, Manchester City stunned (video) 0
- Real Madrid 3-1 Barcelona: Real win El Clasico, Suarez returns 3
- Sunderland 0-2 Arsenal: Sanchez seals win after horrendous defending (video) 0
- VIDEO: Russell Brand crashes Sam Allardyce’s presser with a huge kiss 2