Jul 20, 2014, 7:57 PM EDT
Red Devils fans, fear not: Manchester United vice chairman Ed Woodward says the club is going to be active in the next few weeks as it looks to improve upon a rough season at Old Trafford.
United has already purchased Southampton defender Luke Shaw and Athletic Bilbao midfielder Ander Herrera for new manager Louis van Gaal, but still needs support in a number of positions.
Not only that, but van Gaal is rumored to have a list of up to 10 players that he’s looking to sell.
“There is a lot of work going on behind the scenes,” Woodward told MUTV. “Watch this space.”
And Woodward has promised the funds are in place to back the manager’s plans.
“There is no fixed budget,” he said. “Financially we are extremely strong. We want to do what it takes to win the title.”
In his first official MUFC press conference, Van Gaal had warned that he’ll take time to assess his team. But that was on the heels of a story that 10 players including Marouane Fellaini and Nani were up for sale.
United scored the fifth-most goals in the Premier League last season, but there were plenty of gaps in defense. With Nemanja Vidic gone to Italy and Patrice Evra presumed as gone, the Red Devils need to find defensive depth. They’ve also been linked with about as many wingers as you can count.
But the money is there. Will the players still choose United despite a lack of Champions League soccer? Here’s Woodward’s take:
“I’ve experienced a lot of conversations with agents and players and we are still a huge attraction to top football stars around the world. There is no doubt about that. We’ve already invested in two new fantastic players.”
- Report: AZ Alkmaar speaking with Werder Bremen about Aron Johannsson 0
- Premier League Goalkeeper preview: Who’s in our Top Five, and who switched clubs? 2
- Best starting lineups for all 20 Premier League teams – Do you agree? 7
- VIDEO: Cristiano Ronaldo storms out of interview: “Doesn’t give a ****” about FIFA 5
- VIDEO: Watch Arsene Wenger snub Jose Mourinho handshake. Who is in the wrong? 3
- Cristiano Ronaldo buys his agent a Greek island… as a wedding gift 1