Jul 20, 2014, 10:59 AM EDT
Buckle up, Manchester United fans — you’re likely in for a long summer of rumors connecting every Netherlands international to the Red Devils. Well, every Netherlands international that did well at the World Cup, anyway. Wesley Sneijder may escape these rumors, even if he did score a fantastic goal.
Louis van Gaal guided Holland to the World Cup semifinals by creating a team mentality, a mentality he’s already said he’d like to instill at Manchester United. So it makes sense that he’d want to pursue deals with some of the players that were part of that oranje squad. Indeed, we’ve already had Arjen Robben rejecting the possibility of leaving Bayern Munich. There’ve also been murmurings connecting Daley Blind, Jordy Clasie and Ron Vlaar to United. Oh, and Sneijder. So really, no Dutch player is likely safe from the transfer rumors.
Today’s news puts 22-year-old Stefan de Vrij front and center. Word is that the Feyenoord center back is reluctant to accept Lazio’s overtures, so certain is he that Manchester United will put forth an offer. If he does complete a move to United, de Vrij will be van Gaal’s first signing since beginning his work at Old Trafford.
de Vrij won’t be the first signing of the season for United, of course. The club have already secured the signatures of Ander Herrera, who moved from Athletic Bilbao, and Luke Shaw, who joined from Southampton.
But United still need to strengthen should they want to return to a position in which they are able to fight for the Premier League title. Central defense is a particular need, especially after both Rio Ferdinand and Nemanja Vidić left this summer. And if de Vrij is really only £10m (~$17m) as reports suggest, he’d be a great pickup for the club.
- The world wants Laura Bassett to know that her own goal is nothing to be ashamed of… 0
- Minnesota United misses MLS stadium deadline; Deputy commissioner speaks out 2
- Stoppage-time own goal sinks England, sends Japan to Women’s World Cup final 5
- Stars of CONCACAF: Ranking the top 10 players at the 2015 Gold Cup 7
- “Angel Di Maria has most talent at Manchester United,” says teammate. Agree? 10
- VIDEO: Breaking down the done deals and transfer gossip in PST Extra 0