Jul 20, 2014, 6:53 PM EST
On a Sunday where Tottenham may have picked up a new defender, two World Cup goalkeepers may have found new squads and AC Milan’s CEO mixed his messages, there were plenty more rumors dancing through the cloud.
Croatian web site Sportske Novosti says Dejan Lovren’s long-rumored move from Southampton to Liverpool is going to go down, and it’s going to go down soon. Anfield could finally have defensive reinforcements in the next 24-48 hours.
Meanwhile 101greatgoals.com has broken down a Chilean report that says Manchester United is willing to pay Arturo Vidal as much as they pay Robin van Persie in an attempt to lure the attacker away from Juventus. However, it’s only been a few days since Juventus said Vidal was “not for sale”.
L’Equipe brings the sensational headline that Didier Drogba could sign a one-year deal to return to Stamford Bridge. Drogba left Chelsea in 2012 before spending time in China and Turkey, and showed decent form at the World Cup despite failing to score for the Ivory Coast. Could he be Jose Mourinho’s next age joke?
It seems Geordie boy Andy Carroll has been rumored for a return to Newcastle United from almost the moment he left for Liverpool, but the big striker may be a point of discussion for the Magpies and West Ham as the two clubs spend late July in New Zealand. Carroll joining Emmanuel Riviere as a part of Alan Pardew’s new strike force could be just the tonic St. James Park needs.
That’s not the only Hammers news in the rumor mill. Big Sam Allardyce is being tipped to try and bring Algerian midfielder Saphir Taider from Inter Milan to Upton Park, as well as a move Antunes from Malaga on loan.
- MLS, union come together to avoid calamitous work stoppage 6
- Wednesday’s Premier League roundup: Chelsea, Man City win; six of top seven prevail 0
- Jose Mourinho says his Chelsea team “were brothers on the pitch” in crucial win 0
- West Ham United 0-1 Chelsea: Hazard’s header enough for league leaders (video) 0
- Queens Park Rangers 1-2 Arsenal: Red-hot Giroud helps Gunners to win (video) 0
- Newcastle United 0-1 Manchester United: Krul gaffe spoils Jonas return (video) 4