Jul 21, 2014, 7:25 AM EDT
One of the areas Manchester United needs to strengthen most could be bolstered.
It’s about time.
According to reports from Spanish newspaper Sport, German World Cup winner Mats Hummels is on his way to Manchester United from Borussia Dortmund. The 25-year-old is supposedly heading to Old Trafford in a $28 million deal.
The towering German defender is a man in demand, as United are said to have beaten Barcelona in securing Hummels’ signature with Louis van Gaal aiming to strengthen his central defensive options. With Luke Shaw and Ander Herrera signing on this summer so far, more new players are needed with less than a month to go before the new season. Especially in defense.
Hummels scored twice at the World Cup, including the lone goal in Germany’s 1-0 quarterfinal win over France. He is great in the air, tremendously strong in the tackle and leads by example in central defense. Hummels is far from quick, we saw that in the World Cup final on occasions, but he has a decent turn of pace and his positional prowess more than makes up for that.
Is he what United need? Absolutely. Van Gaal should break the bank to make this one happen.
With both Nemanja Vidic and Rio Ferdinand leaving Old Trafford this summer the Red Devils have just three recognized center backs on the books: Chris Smalling, Phil Jones and Jonny Evans. Smalling and Jones are both young and have had up and down starts to their United careers, while Evans is steady enough but far from spectacular. Hummels would be a marvelous signing as his experience in the UEFA Champions League with BVB and now winning the World Cup proves his pedigree on the biggest stages in world soccer.
If van Gaal pulls this signing off, Hummels would be a key cog in United’s rise back to the top. If they are serious about strengthening this summer and challenging for a title, this deal needs to happen.
- Premier League Sunday preview: Can Spurs, Man City find hope versus Newcastle, West Ham? 0
- Premier League roundup: Chelsea closer to title; Leicester climb off the bottom 0
- Despite defeat to Chelsea, Louis van Gaal hails Manchester United’s “best match of season” 1
- Three things we learned from Chelsea’s win vs. Manchester United 2
- Chelsea 1-0 Manchester United: Hazard leads defensive Blues past Red Devils (video) 0
- Arsenal 2-1 Reading: Alexis helps Gunners clinch FA Cup final berth 0