Jul 22, 2014, 10:03 PM EDT
One’s going and the other’s long-rumored to be gone, so what hope does controversial Cardiff City owner Vincent Tan have of bouncing back to the Premier League in the absence of two of his best players?
Steven Caulker is at Queens Park Rangers now. That is certain. And now Italian media service Di Marzio says Inter Milan has swooped in to snare Chilean star and hard-nosed midfielder Gary “The Pitbull” Medel.
Uh oh, Mr. Tan.
Cardiff has brought in a number of players for their first season back down in the Championship including presumed Medel replacement Kagisho Dikgacoi and forwards Javi Guerra, Adam le Fondre and Federico Macheda.
But even in a rough season like the one experienced by the Bluebirds last season, there’s no doubting Caulker and Medel shone. And their performances were even brighter than traditional stats, as advanced stats say they were two of the club’s three best players.
Maybe Medel won’t leave, and perhaps the retirement of Craig Bellamy won’t hurt the club. That has to be the hope for Cardiff.
Leaping back into the Premier League is a massive task, one made harder by the loss of key players (which often happens). With Fulham improving, Derby Country still strong and a host of hungry Championship league teams looking for promotion, Cardiff is in a tough spot.
- Premier League 2015-16 season preview: Manchester City 0
- VIDEO: PST Extra – What should we expect from the Premier League’s promoted three? 0
- Premier League 2015-16 season preview: Liverpool 2
- VIDEO: Chelsea’s Eden Hazard dances around Barcelona to score magical goal 0
- Chelsea 2-2 Barcelona: Good-looking goals to spare in Maryland (video) 3
- Official: Miguel Herrera fired by Mexico days after Gold Cup win, alleged attack on journalist 18