Jul 22, 2014, 11:17 PM EST
Omar Gonzalez will don the colors of the Los Angeles Galaxy on Wednesday for a friendly tilt against visiting Manchester United, but he hasn’t given up on facing the Red Devils in a more meaningful match.
In an article by Scott French on the MLS official web site, Gonzalez praised the trend of USMNT stars coming back to Major League Soccer before admitting he still thinks of his career moving abroad.
Gonzalez last played against a different sort of Red Devils, the Belgium side that eliminated the 25-year-old’s US side from the 2014 World Cup during the Round of 16.
Gonzalez had a short-term loan to German Bundesliga club FC Nuremberg at the start of 2012, but he torn his ACL in his first training session and returned home for surgery and rehab. Does he still have the dream of playing in Europe?
“I do,” he said. “I still want to go try my trade in Europe, but right now I’m committed to the Galaxy.”
His impressive performance in Brazil against Germany and Belgium brought speculation of overseas interest, but Gonzalez hadn’t much to say about it.
“That’s something my agent handles,” he said. “Right now, I’m looking to get back to full fitness and looking forward to getting a result against United and [then next week] go to Seattle and have a real tough game [with the Sounders].”
Oddly enough, the sale of Gonzalez could clear the way for the arrival of a man currently in L.A. to face the Galaxy on Wednesday: Javier “Chicharito” Hernandez, who is being whispered as a potential MLS transfer according to L.A. Galaxy Insider.
As for European competition, the 2014 MLS All-Star will also get a chance to take on Bayern Munich in August’s ASG.
- Update on MLS labor strike: Players Union, league still at impasse as talks go down to the wire 0
- 2015 MLS Season Preview: Top 10 Newcomers 0
- Tuesday Premier League Preview: New managers square off in Midlands derby 0
- PHOTOS: LA Galaxy, Real Salt Lake, Montreal Impact, Chicago Fire unveil new 2015 jerseys 1
- WATCH: Midweek Premier League TV schedule – Week 28 0
- 2015 MLS predictions: Cup winners? MVP? Lampard or Gerrard? Kaka or Giovinco? 2