Jul 22, 2014, 8:39 PM EDT
Unless the conversation in the photo to the right included the punch line, “And then you’ll say I’m doing a great job!!”, this is a decent story for Jurgen Klinsmann supporters.
Q: What do American media pundits like Alexi Lalas or Eric Wynalda not have in common with Bayern Munich manager Pep Guardiola?
A: Pep likes what Jurgen Klinsmann did as US men’s national team coach in Brazil.
At least that’s what the Bavarians’ boss noted ahead of his club’s upcoming Stateside friendlies against CD Guadalajara and the MLS All-Stars.
Guardiola lauded US manager Jurgen Klinsmann for his role in guiding the USA out of the Group of Death at the World Cup – “the United States is making a lot and lot of steps forward about [Klinsmann's] idea and his concept of football.”
But the former Spain midfielder was especially effusive in his praise for the US backline in Brazil: “Their movement was really, really, really, really good.”
That’s four reallys, folks.
Now of course Pep has at least three reasons to praise Klinsmann and US Soccer right off the bat. First, of course, is that his club is in America and likely being paid very handsomely to be here. Second is the love of Klinsmann back ‘home’ in Germany. And third is Bayern’s preference to grow their brand in America.
But it’s also real words from a man regularly-described as a footballing genius, and that’s rarely a bad thing (though I didn’t see whether his fingers were crossed or eyes were rolling).
Guardiola also had praise for the development of the game in the United States overall, as well as high-fives for the improvement of Major League Soccer in general. It’s a good, quick read.
- Tuesday’s Top 5 Champions League Goals: Which was the best? 0
- A Klinsmann Casualty? Juan Agudelo passed on by Wolverhampton 3
- Steven Gerrard admits he denied move to Real Madrid and that it may haunt him in the future 1
- UEFA Champions League roundup: Bayern, Chelsea, Shakhtar go crazy on 40-goal night 0
- Chelsea 6-0 Maribor: Hazard brace keeps Blues atop Group G 0
- AS Roma 1-7 Bayern Munich: Sublime Bayern smash Roma to go five points clear in Group E 1