Jul 22, 2014, 8:39 PM EDT
Unless the conversation in the photo to the right included the punch line, “And then you’ll say I’m doing a great job!!”, this is a decent story for Jurgen Klinsmann supporters.
Q: What do American media pundits like Alexi Lalas or Eric Wynalda not have in common with Bayern Munich manager Pep Guardiola?
A: Pep likes what Jurgen Klinsmann did as US men’s national team coach in Brazil.
At least that’s what the Bavarians’ boss noted ahead of his club’s upcoming Stateside friendlies against CD Guadalajara and the MLS All-Stars.
Guardiola lauded US manager Jurgen Klinsmann for his role in guiding the USA out of the Group of Death at the World Cup – “the United States is making a lot and lot of steps forward about [Klinsmann’s] idea and his concept of football.”
But the former Spain midfielder was especially effusive in his praise for the US backline in Brazil: “Their movement was really, really, really, really good.”
That’s four reallys, folks.
Now of course Pep has at least three reasons to praise Klinsmann and US Soccer right off the bat. First, of course, is that his club is in America and likely being paid very handsomely to be here. Second is the love of Klinsmann back ‘home’ in Germany. And third is Bayern’s preference to grow their brand in America.
But it’s also real words from a man regularly-described as a footballing genius, and that’s rarely a bad thing (though I didn’t see whether his fingers were crossed or eyes were rolling).
Guardiola also had praise for the development of the game in the United States overall, as well as high-fives for the improvement of Major League Soccer in general. It’s a good, quick read.
- PST Extra: Who are the Premier League’s top offseason acquisitions so far? (video) 1
- Premier League defenders: Who’s in our Top Five? And how to choose just five? 6
- Maps, rivals, stadiums: Location of all 20 Premier League teams for 2015-16 season 4
- On his way out of PSG, should Arsenal or Manchester United sign Zlatan Ibrahimovic? 1
- Tuesday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Rose to Chelsea, Traore to Liverpool 1
- AZ Alkmaar agree to sell USMNT forward Aron Johannsson to Werder Bremen 3