Jul 22, 2014, 10:05 AM EST
What can you get for $107 million these days?
A Colombian striker who banged in six goals in five games at the World Cup, that’s what.
Real Madrid sealed the signing of James Rodriguez from AS Monaco on Tuesday, making him the fourth-most expensive signing in soccer history.
[RELATED: James seals Real transfer]
[RELATED: Rodriguez wins Golden Boot]
Is Rodriguez, or any player for that matter, really worth this much? Regardless, that’s just the going price for a young soccer star in 2014. Looking down at the list of the biggest transfer fees of all-time below, Real have a habit of splashing the cash when they see fit. Gareth Bale, Cristiano Ronaldo, Kaka, they are all on there. Four of the six largest transfer fees in history have come from the reigning European Champions.
Here is a look at the top 10 transfer fees of all-time, as Zinedine Zidane is knocked out of the top 10 after Real’s latest superstar arrived.
Top Ten transfer fees, all-time (in British pounds)
1. Gareth Bale, Tottenham to Real Madrid, £86m
2. Cristiano Ronaldo, Manchester United to Real Madrid, £80m
3. Luis Suarez, Liverpool to Barcelona, £75m
4. James Rodriguez, AS Monaco to Real Madrid, £63m
5. Zlatan Ibrahimovic, Inter Milan to Barcelona, £59m
6. Kaka, AC Milan to Real Madrid, £56m
7. Edinson Cavani, Napoli to PSG, £55m
8. Radamel Falcao, Atletico Madrid to Monaco, £51m
9. Fernando Torres, Liverpool to Chelsea, £50m
10. Neymar, Santos to Barcelona, £48m
- David Beckham says progress still being made toward MLS stadium in Miami 0
- DONE DEAL: Mattia Destro, Juan Agudelo sign with new clubs AC Milan, New England Revolution 0
- Juan Agudelo signs with New England Revolution, completes return to MLS 2
- How will Chelsea, Manchester City line up in huge Premier League clash? 1
- Chelsea’s Diego Costa to contest FA charge of violent conduct 1
- Freddy Adu heading back to MLS? Reports claim two teams interested 10