Jul 23, 2014, 8:07 AM EST
New AS Roma left back Ashley Cole has been picking fights with fans on social media.
This could only go one way…
After leaving Chelsea this summer after eight years at the West London club and winning every trophy known to man, 33-year-old Cole had plenty of options on the table. Reportedly, plenty of those were in Major League Soccer as Cole was long-linked with a move to the New York Red Bulls.
However, after fans criticized his decision to sign with Roma this summer, Cole has had enough and has hit out at the negative comments towards his move and a potential deal to join MLS. Inadvertently Cole has slapped MLS in the face, a little.
In a series of Tweets, Cole had the following to say.
“Before I signed at Roma people were killing me about (possibly) playing (in the USA), saying it’s for the money and easy lifestyle, I choose to play in a more demanding place and team and people still feel the need to moan. How about you just worry about your team and I’ll worry about mine.”
Cole specifically mentioned the MLS in the series of Tweets as he publicly stated his opinion that the Serie A is a more demanding league. It may well be. However, is there really any need to have a shot at MLS?
We all know and love the league and it’s on the way up, plus we all know the league is working hard to improve its level of play on the pitch and to keep improving overall. Do we really need Cole’s opinion? Eh, he’s entitled to it but it does seem a little tasteless.
You stay classy, Ashley.
- Watch Live: Manchester United vs. Newcastle United (Lineups and Live Stream) 0
- Watch Live: Chelsea vs. West Ham United (Lineups and Live Stream) 0
- WATCH: Premier League online via NBC Sports Live Extra – Boxing Day 0
- Premier League Preview: Manchester United vs. Newcastle United 0
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Boxing Day 0
- Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks: Chelsea, Arsenal, Manchester United 3