“Luis Suarez treated like a murderer” – Former Liverpool teammate Iago Aspas

Jul 23, 2014, 8:46 AM EDT

Liverpool v Crystal Palace - Premier League Getty Images

Iago Aspas hasn’t done much on the pitch since he joined Liverpool last summer.

Now he’s delivered this gem of a quote, though.

The young Spanish striker, who failed to score in the Premier League during 14 outings last season, has been loaned out to La Liga outfit Sevilla for the 2014-15 campaign as Brendan Rodgers reshuffles his pack.

After arriving back in Spain the former Celta Vigo attacker was asked about the treatment of Luis Suarez after he was banned this summer for four months following the third biting incident of his career.

Agreeing that Suarez should have be banned, Aspas then said this to Spanish radio station Cadena Cope.

“They are treating Luis like a murderer and not like a footballer,” Aspas said. “There are murderers who pay less {for what they have done]. To not let him be presented [by Barcelona], to train or to enter the stadium is too much.”

A murderer… Really?

Sure, Suarez’s actions were amplified by the media but he bit another player (for the third time in his career) at the World Cup and the shocking images were beamed across the world.

Should he have been banned for four months from all soccer related activity? Absolutely. Some would argue it should have been more. Did Suarez deserve to be unveiled at Barcelona and receive the adulation of thousands of fans while he has a worldwide ban from soccer? Probably not.

Many believe Suarez gets a rough deal from the media. but saying he’s been “treated like a murderer”… give me a break.

1. mdac1012 - Jul 23, 2014 at 9:03 AM

Yeah, you would think the guy was Hannibal Lecter or something…..oh wait……never mind!

2. nychalla - Jul 23, 2014 at 9:25 AM

smh…it amazes me that he’s still being made excuses for. it wasn’t like it was his first time, it was his THIRD time doing this….

3. sabatimus - Jul 23, 2014 at 9:54 AM

So?

4. jylick - Jul 23, 2014 at 9:54 AM

What he has done isn’t normal in terms of human behavior. He should have had psychological therapy tacked onto his ban and stipulations for return based on progress shown in sessions. The man is sensational on the pitch but a ticking time bomb waiting to…snap (on another man’s neck)

5. Skulb - Jul 23, 2014 at 10:36 AM

Non.issue blown out of all proportions by a media that survives on pointless scandal. He`s right as far as I`m concerned. In fact, I`ll just bite myself on the shoulder and must be banned for life for being a savage barbarian and /drama and /hysteria!

The only thing I question after the Suarez episode is the media, as well as FIFA for being stampeded into a ridiculous overreaction. That football players are mostly morons and almost always unsporting I already knew you see.

6. scoochpooch - Jul 23, 2014 at 10:52 AM

Give him time Iago.

7. lyleoross - Jul 23, 2014 at 11:50 AM

I’m gonna have to disagree. If he was treated like a murderer, he’d have been arrested, tossed in jail, put on trial, and the sentence would have been longer than four months. The truth is that I tend to agree with Suarez. It wasn’t like he pulled a brutal slide tackle, cleats showing, knee high, that seriously damaged or ended someone’s career. While he’s got a problem, and should deal with it, what he did was an inappropriate response to being frustrated. Compare that to a player that cynically takes out another player’s knee in a reckless slide tackle and gets no punishment.

Suarez is being punished because his crime was socially unexceptable. It’s sad to think that purposely breaking someones knee is acceptable.

• sabatimus - Jul 24, 2014 at 6:08 AM

“If he was treated like a murderer, he’d have been arrested, tossed in jail, put on trial, and the sentence would have been longer than four months.”

All of which should have happened.

• lyleoross - Jul 24, 2014 at 11:53 AM

Wow, I kind of dislike Suarez, okay, well, I dislike him a lot, but I think you win the cookie in that category.

8. lorenzo463 - Jul 23, 2014 at 12:26 PM

This, ladies and gentlemen, was your daily reminder from PST that OMG LUIS SUAREZ BIT A GUY. Please enjoy the rest of your day.

9. ravenswhat - Jul 23, 2014 at 12:28 PM

I’ll gladly line up to take any “abuse” if I can cash his weekly paychecks. I mean, I have no problem doing that.

10. daonetwo - Jul 23, 2014 at 1:11 PM

no Iago Aspas, people are treating suarez like a footballer who has bitten people on three different occasions. i repeat, THREE different occasions.

think about that for a second before making such a ridiculous remark.

11. mazblast - Jul 23, 2014 at 1:24 PM

Let’s see what Aspas’ reaction is when Suarez bites him or someone on his team this year.

PST Extra: The Manchester derby