Jul 23, 2014, 6:48 PM EDT
International club soccer returns to Fenway Park in Boston on Wednesday night when Liverpool and AS Roma (Watch live on NBCSN, 7:00pm ET and online via Live Extra) square off in a match between two sides with Beantown ties.
Liverpool, owned by Boston Red Sox owner John Henry, and Roma, owned by Boston Celtics minority owner Jim Pallota, last squared off at Fenway on July 25, 2012 before a sold out crowd of more than 37,000. In a tight match Roma ended up 2-1 winners.
Similar numbers will be expected tonight with both sides eager to capture the growing US market for soccer. For Liverpool,Brendan Rodgers has named a 33-man squad that includes all World Cup participants except Belgium’s Simon Mignolet and France’s Mamdou Sakho, who will join later in the tour for matches against AC Milan, Manchester City and Olympiakos. The squad includes all of the Reds’ new signings, Adam Lallana, Lazar Markovic, Rickie Lambert and Emre Can although the latter is set to miss out due to injury.
For Roma, their squad will feature legends Francesco Totti and Danielle De Rossia as well as a number of big name players like Adam Ljajic, Miralem Pjanic, Gervinho, Maicon,Urby Emanuelson and new signings Juan Manuel Iturbe and Ashley Cole.
Liverpool (4-2-3-1): Jones; Kelly, Skrtel, Coates, Enrique; Lucas, Allen; Coutinho, Borini, Ibe, Lambert
AS Roma (4-3-3): Skorupski; Somma, Benatia, Castan, Cole; Florenzi, Keita, Nainggolan; Iturbe, Totti, Ljajic
- FOLLOW LIVE: Arsenal, Aston Villa square off in FA Cup final 0
- Hyndman stars as U.S. U-20 team downs Myanmar 2-1 to open World Cup play 1
- 2014-15 Premier League season review: PST’s Best XI of the Season 0
- Blatter’s “Wolf of Wall Street” moment could play out the exact same way 4
- Prince Ali Bin Al-Hussein withdraws from second vote; Cocky Blatter speaks in power, references “offshore” future 35
- FA Cup final preview: Aston Villa underdogs in Arsenal’s pursuit of back-to-back cups 1