Frank Lampard delighted to sign for New York City FC, start MLS adventure

Jul 24, 2014, 11:14 AM EDT

Source: New York City FC Source: New York City FC

On Thursday Frank Lampard became a Major League Soccer player.

The Chelsea and English national team legend signed for New York City FC at the iconic setting of Pier 5 in Brooklyn, as the 36-year-old signed a two-year deal for NYC FC and will join the club ahead of their inaugural MLS season in 2015.

[RELATED: Lampard seals NYC FC deal]

[RELATED: Lampard biggest signing in MLS history?]

Lampard leaves behind a glittering career in the Premier League, as he won every trophy possible domestically and in Europe with Chelsea over the past 13 years. The Londoner also became the Blues all-time leading goalscorer, from midfield, to cement his legendary status at Stamford Bridge.

Asked by reporters why he chose to leave London for New York, Lampard revealed the challenge is exciting him.

“Why not choose New York City?,” Lampard said. “You talk about it ticking all the boxes, personally for me it does that. It is a very exciting challenge for me, in life terms too. I had a fantastic 13 years at Chelsea. I can look  back on that with immense pride. However it was certainly a good time for myself, and for Chelsea that I moved on. I want to test myself, carry on challenging myself, I want to be that leader and that person on and off the pitch that can make things happen for this club.”

With Claudio Reyna as the director of soccer and head coach Jason Kreis sat alongside Lampard at the unveiling, NYC FC is starting to come together as the England international became their fourth player signing after David Villa, Jeb Brovsky and Josh Saunders. Starting a club from scratch isn’t but Lampard believes in the vision.

“Having meet with everyone from the club, I’ve seen the vision,” Lampard said. “I’m not talking about starting a new franchise and just throwing things at it and hoping it comes off. There is a real long-term plan from the club and I wanted to be part of that.”

source:

Lampard became NYC FC’s fourth player as the new franchise continues to take shape.

As questions continued to pour in for Lampard, it was also confirmed they are not sure if he will join their sister team in Melbourne between now and next March, inevitably he was asked about David Beckham’s time in MLS and if he spoke to the former LA Galaxy star about making the switch Stateside.

“No I didn’t,” Lampard said. “I know David well, but I’m not on everyday speaking terms with him. I had spoken to him about his experiences here in the past in the MLS and he says nothing about great things about the league. I already knew it. The decision was all mine. I had to weigh up where I wanted to play. When the opportunity to New York came up, it is a difference experience to what he had but I am coming to a great city and I hope to show people I am a good player, a big personality in the dressing room and outside of that to help this thing move on.”

Lampard also discusses his national team future, which at the age of 36 many believe could be over but he confirmed he has yet to make a decision about international retirement.

He then moved on to praise the U.S. national teams performance at the World Cup, then Lampard finally gave the league a glowing reference and claimed the rest of the soccer world has grown to respect North America’s top-flight.

“Back home in England we saw David Beckham come here and the league take big strides not just because of him, because of a lot of stable work made by people at MLS, Lampard said. “The quality has gone up and up. I’ve been watching MLS games back home in England for a long time now, big players are coming out here. David Villa signing here, Jermain Defoe, Robbie Keane and the homegrown U.S. players. In general the respect for MLS around the world has grown and that is the same for me. That is what makes it such a great opportunity and challenge for me.”

Latest Posts
  1. MLS’s new logo: Reddit (yes, Reddit) may have a way to solve the league’s new problem

Sep 18, 2014, 9:22 PM EDT

MLS_crest_club_colors

Users decided to make the new art’s white space into a plus, ditching the high brow concept in favor of more appealing products.

2. MLS Preview: Real Salt Lake vs. Colorado Rapids

Sep 18, 2014, 8:20 PM EDT

Portland Timbers v Real Salt Lake Getty Images

NBCSN’s first of three weekend broadcasts takes place tomorrow night at Rio Tinto Stadium.

3. FA chairman: England “might well bid for” Euro 2028

Sep 18, 2014, 7:41 PM EDT

greg_dyke Getty Images

It’s 14 years off, but The FA is still planning to make a push.

4. Europe League roundup: Everton big winners at home; Spurs left with draw on the road

Sep 18, 2014, 6:15 PM EDT

seamus_coleman AP

Roberto Martinez makes an impressive European debut, while Mauricio Pochettino sees him team go without a shot on target.

5. It’s not too late for Major League Soccer to turn away from its new logo

Sep 18, 2014, 4:25 PM EDT

don_garber_mls_logo AP

MLS has admitted failure before. Today’s new art may prove to be another idea the league should cast off.

6. Premier League Power Rankings: Red Devils and Villans on the up

Sep 18, 2014, 3:09 PM EDT

Manchester United v Queens Park Rangers - Premier League Getty Images

With Week four in the books, here’s how the PL teams stack up in our rankings of power.

7. Reactions to “MLS Next” as North America’s top-flight launches rebrand

Sep 18, 2014, 2:27 PM EDT

MLS_crest_club_colors

What are people saying about Major League Soccer’s new look?

8. Arsene Wenger’s biggest regret is missing out on Cristiano Ronaldo

Sep 18, 2014, 1:45 PM EDT

Everton v Arsenal - Premier League Getty Images

Wenger: “I was so close to signing Cristiano Ronaldo.”

9. Auf Wiedersehen! Felix Magath out as Fulham boss after terrible tenure

Sep 18, 2014, 1:09 PM EDT

STOKE ON TRENT, ENGLAND - MAY 03: Fulham manager Felix Magath reacts as his side are relegated following their defeat in the Barclays Premier League match between Stoke City and Fulham at the Britannia Stadium on May 3, 2014 in Stoke on Trent, England. Getty Images

After just four wins from 20 games, Fulham’s owner has seen enough from Magath.

10. Brendan Rodgers on Liverpool’s growing pains: “There’s no magic formula”

Sep 18, 2014, 12:37 PM EDT

There's nothing nice about watching your side squander a three goal lead to end up with a draw. Getty Images

Rodgers’ side have had an up and down start to the season. Is it the sign of things to come?

11. Europa League preview: Will Everton, Tottenham reach knockout stages?

Sep 18, 2014, 11:33 AM EDT

tim_howard Getty Images

Here’s what lies in store for Everton and Tottenham as Thursday night soccer begins.

12. Taking back time: FIFA says officials must return expensive watches

Sep 18, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT

Brazil v Germany: Semi Final - 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil Getty Images

Parmigiani watches worth over $25,000 dished out by Brazilian federation to FIFA’s exec. members must be returned.

13. Arsenal linked with three free agents, as defensive woes continue

Sep 18, 2014, 10:18 AM EDT

FC Lokomotiv Moscow v FC Zenit St. Petersburg - Premier League Getty Images

Gunners need reinforcements in defense, so who are they making a move for?

14. Ole Gunnar is gone: Solksjaer out as Cardiff City manager

Sep 18, 2014, 9:35 AM EDT

Blackburn Rovers v Cardiff City - Sky Bet Championship Getty Images

Norwegian boss let go after just 9 wins in 30 games in charge of the Bluebirds.

15. Chelsea have Diego Costa injury concern

Sep 18, 2014, 8:56 AM EDT

Chelsea FC v FC Schalke 04 - UEFA Champions League Getty Images

Star striker struggling with persistent hamstring problem ahead of Manchester City clash.

16. PHOTO: MLS unveils new logo. What do you think?

Sep 18, 2014, 8:19 AM EDT

MLSLogoEdit1

What do you guys think of the brand new MLS logo?

17. US move up one place in latest FIFA rankings; Wales the big winners

Sep 18, 2014, 7:40 AM EDT

Michael Orozco, Mix Diskerud, Matej vydra AP

Klinsmann’s men move up after Czech Republic win. See where they’re ranked in the top 20.

18. Fire-ravaged dog home claims Mario Balotelli made sizable donation

Sep 17, 2014, 11:30 PM EDT

Balo

A dog home ravaged by fire last week believes Mario Balotelli has made a sizable donation.

19. PST Extra: Sneak preview of Manchester City v. Chelsea

Sep 17, 2014, 10:55 PM EDT

MC CH

Joe Prince-Wright and myself sat down with Jenna Corrado to discuss what City and Chelsea each need to accomplish to secure victory.

20. ‘We Will Speak English': Louis van Gaal’s instruction to Manchester United players

Sep 17, 2014, 10:28 PM EDT

VanGaal Getty Images

Looking for complete transparency, however, Van Gaal has laid down the law: English only.

Breaking down Man City vs. Chelsea