Jay DeMerit’s retirement letter is as grateful, humble and classy as you’d expect

Jul 24, 2014, 2:09 PM EST

South Africa Soccer WCup US Algeria AP

Earlier today we told you that Vancouver Whitecaps defender Jay DeMerit was set to call it a career, and confirmation comes less than a pair of hours later.

The 34-year-old announced his retirement in an open letter on Vancouver’s web site, one in which he touched on his remarkable rise from American college soccer to muddy amateur games in England to the Premier League and the World Cup.

And DeMerit laid it out in the fashion you expect from the hard-working, ambitious defender we’ve admired for many years. Here’s what the former Watford and Vancouver captain had to say about the end of his career following a tendon injury.

From Whitecapsfc.com:

Even if I was to get back to a level where I could potentially play again, I would be putting at risk the reputation that I have spent so many years trying to create, and I won’t do that.  I’ve never taken the field just because I can. I’m either all in or all out. I take the field because I’m ready and able to give my all, to fight for my teammates, and give a committed performance for my club or my country.

I’ve always been the kind of player who wears his heart on his sleeve – and it’s that heart that is telling me it’s time to stop. If I can’t be the player that I have always been, and play to a standard that I believe is high enough, then it’s time for me to smile, say thank you, and give my commitment to a new cause.

I’m incredibly grateful to everyone who has helped my dreams become a reality over the past 11 years.

I’m sitting on my balcony, watching the sun drop behind the mountains of Vancouver, British Columbia. The ocean water in the bay is calm and I’m at peace.

I can’t wait to see what’s next.

The letter is absolutely worth your time, and I have to give a nod to my local American Outlaws chapter for the following contention:

Hear, hear!

Latest Posts
  1. WATCH: Tim Howard discusses autobiography ‘The Keeper’

Dec 21, 2014, 8:17 PM EST

tim_howard Getty Images

Tim Howard converses about his recently released autobiography, “The Keeper.”

2. Eyeing France national team call-up, AC Milan’s Jérémy Ménez keeps showing off his skills

Dec 21, 2014, 7:40 PM EST

Jeremy+Menez+qojlhLjziL0m Getty Images

Jeremy Menez has done a fantastic job as AC Milan’s primary attacker, and he’s primarily aiming for the French national team call-up.

3. Manager Ally McCoist exits Rangers, goes on gardening leave

Dec 21, 2014, 6:20 PM EST

Ally McCoist Getty Images

Ally McCoist has left Scottish Championship team Rangers, as the club has recognized the former star striker is now on “gardening leave.”

4. Liverpool striker Daniel Sturridge to return from injury in January, according to manager

Dec 21, 2014, 4:55 PM EST

Manchester City Liverpool Soccer AP

According to Brendan Rogers, Liverpool’s prime attacker, Daniel Sturridge, will make his return from a multi-month injury in early January.

5. With his derby success, Adam Johnson thinks Newcastle United fans ‘must hate him’

Dec 21, 2014, 4:05 PM EST

adam_johnson AP

Sunderland winger Adam Johnson on game-winner and Tyne-Wear derby triumphs: “Three years in a row, they must hate me here!”

6. VIDEO: Poor finishing leaves Brendan Rodgers “deflated” despite late draw

Dec 21, 2014, 3:39 PM EST

Rodgers Getty Images

Brendan Rodgers gives his thoughts after a 2-2 draw despite what he called “dominance” on the ball.

7. VIDEO: Arsene Wenger regretfully admits draw with Liverpool fair

Dec 21, 2014, 3:12 PM EST

Wenger AP

With polarizing halves separating the teams, Arsene Wenger said a draw was the correct result based on performance.

8. Cristiano Ronaldo passes up Platini handshake after Ballon d’Or comments

Dec 21, 2014, 2:29 PM EST

Ronaldo Getty Images

Cristiano Ronaldo appeared to bring a grudge with him to Morocco.

9. VIDEO: Alan Pardew says he pushed Newcastle too hard late in derby loss

Dec 21, 2014, 1:44 PM EST

Pardew AP

With Newcastle yielding late, Alan Pardew thinks he may have left his team a little too exposed as the clock ticked towards the final minute.

10. Liverpool 2-2 Arsenal: Wounded Skrtel turns away Gunners at the death (video)

Dec 21, 2014, 1:08 PM EST

Skrtel Getty Images

Martin Skrtel returned from a nasty injury and took full advantage of the resulting stopptage time.

11. John Brooks, a week after scoring, has forgettable match in 5-0 thumping

Dec 21, 2014, 11:58 AM EST

Brooks Getty Images

A day to forget for the American central defender in Germany’s top flight.

12. Newcastle 0-1 Sunderland: Johnson sinks Newcastle again (video)

Dec 21, 2014, 10:26 AM EST

SunderlandNewcastle

The boyhood Newcastle fan scored at St. James Park for the third year in a row as Sunderland stole the Tyne-Wear derby late.

13. Watch Live: Liverpool vs Arsenal (Lineups and Live Stream)

Dec 21, 2014, 10:16 AM EST

Sterling Getty Images

Raheem Sterling looks to be the lone attacking option for Liverpool as Brendan Rodgers has left both his available strikers on the bench.

14. WATCH: Watch Lionel Messi’s silky first touch lead to a stellar goal

Dec 21, 2014, 8:52 AM EST

Messi Getty Images

A magnetizing first touch leads to a meaningless but nonetheless beautiful goal by the man who gives us magic weekly.

15. Watch Live: Newcastle vs Sunderland (Lineups and Live Stream)

Dec 21, 2014, 7:53 AM EST

PardewPoyet Getty Images

The heated Tyne-Wear derby has brought us goals and fireworks of many kinds, and will be no different today as Sunderland looks to win four in a row over Newcastle for the first time ever.

16. Tim Howard says Frank Lampard should leave Man City, start MLS season with NYCFC

Dec 20, 2014, 10:54 PM EST

FBL-ENG-PR-MAN CITY-CRYSTAL PALACE FBL-ENG-PR-MAN CITY-CRYSTAL PALACE

Howard doesn’t think Lampard will start the MLS season with NYCFC, although he says he should.

17. Report: Canadian international Doneil Henry to join West Ham United, pending work permit

Dec 20, 2014, 9:51 PM EST

Doneil Henry, Toronto FC (left) Doneil Henry, Toronto FC (left)

Doneil Henry is reportedly close to joining West Ham, which is a surprise, to say the least.

18. Brendan Rodgers will give Raheem Sterling a period of rest after Christmas

Dec 20, 2014, 8:46 PM EST

Raheem Sterling, Liverpool FC Raheem Sterling, Liverpool FC

After logging lots of miles the last 16 months, Raheem Sterling is going to get a short rest very soon.

Week 17: PL Saturday recap