Jay DeMerit’s retirement letter is as grateful, humble and classy as you’d expect

Jul 24, 2014, 2:09 PM EDT

South Africa Soccer WCup US Algeria AP

Earlier today we told you that Vancouver Whitecaps defender Jay DeMerit was set to call it a career, and confirmation comes less than a pair of hours later.

The 34-year-old announced his retirement in an open letter on Vancouver’s web site, one in which he touched on his remarkable rise from American college soccer to muddy amateur games in England to the Premier League and the World Cup.

And DeMerit laid it out in the fashion you expect from the hard-working, ambitious defender we’ve admired for many years. Here’s what the former Watford and Vancouver captain had to say about the end of his career following a tendon injury.

From Whitecapsfc.com:

Even if I was to get back to a level where I could potentially play again, I would be putting at risk the reputation that I have spent so many years trying to create, and I won’t do that.  I’ve never taken the field just because I can. I’m either all in or all out. I take the field because I’m ready and able to give my all, to fight for my teammates, and give a committed performance for my club or my country.

I’ve always been the kind of player who wears his heart on his sleeve – and it’s that heart that is telling me it’s time to stop. If I can’t be the player that I have always been, and play to a standard that I believe is high enough, then it’s time for me to smile, say thank you, and give my commitment to a new cause.

I’m incredibly grateful to everyone who has helped my dreams become a reality over the past 11 years.

I’m sitting on my balcony, watching the sun drop behind the mountains of Vancouver, British Columbia. The ocean water in the bay is calm and I’m at peace.

I can’t wait to see what’s next.

The letter is absolutely worth your time, and I have to give a nod to my local American Outlaws chapter for the following contention:

Hear, hear!

Latest Posts
  1. Father auctions his son’s allegiance… Manchester United or Manchester City?

Oct 23, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT

FBL-ENG-PR-MAN CITY-MAN UTD Getty Images

Little Eddie won’t have a say in who he supports, but it’s all for a good cause.

2. Sunil Gulati backs Jurgen Klinsmann following MLS dispute, USMNT “on the same page”

Oct 23, 2014, 1:12 PM EDT

GulatiKlinsmann Getty Images

Gulati: “Jurgen is our coach and technical director, and I fully expect that to be the case through to the 2018 World Cup.”

3. Diego Costa remains a doubt for Chelsea amid illness, groin strain

Oct 23, 2014, 11:45 AM EDT

With Costa struggling to make the bench, plus Remy out, Chelsea are running out of strikers.

4. All eyes on Origi: Tim Howard, Everton wary of on-loan Liverpool forward

Oct 23, 2014, 11:04 AM EDT

Belgium v USA: Round of 16 - 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil Getty Images

Howard: “I know what he likes to do, but that doesn’t mean I will always be capable of stopping him.”

5. MLS Atlanta urges David Beckham, Miami to share stadium with Dolphins

Oct 23, 2014, 10:22 AM EDT

Cincinnati v Miami Cincinnati v Miami

Atlanta Falcons owner urges Beckham to link up with Miami Dolphins to sort out MLS stadium mess.

6. Everton fans reportedly attacked by gang in Lille ahead of Europa League clash

Oct 23, 2014, 9:36 AM EDT

FBL-EUR-C3-EVERTON-SUPPORTERS FBL-EUR-C3-EVERTON-SUPPORTERS

A gang of 100 local men reportedly ambushed Everton fans outside city center pub.

7. Report: Dutch star Dirk Kuyt heading to Southampton

Oct 23, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT

Will Saints swoop to sign former Liverpool star?

8. Reality check: Outclassed by Real Madrid, what now for Liverpool?

Oct 23, 2014, 8:34 AM EDT

Liverpool’s players react to Real Madrid humbling, as growing pains continue to spiral out of control.

9. After winless October, USA drop out of top 20 in latest FIFA rankings

Oct 23, 2014, 7:54 AM EDT

Klinsmann Getty Images

After two draws in October, the USA drops six places in latest world rankings.

10. Galatasaray’s 3-D Tifo has demanded all others to step their game up

Oct 22, 2014, 11:04 PM EDT

Screen Shot 2014-10-22 at 10.48.58 PM

How did the Galatasaray supporters pull off this Tifo before Wednesday’s match against Borussia Dortmund? How?!?

11. Thursday’s Europa League preview: Spurs go Greek, Everton faces Lille

Oct 22, 2014, 10:10 PM EDT

Britain Soccer Europa League AP

The pair of Premier League clubs remaining in the competition face quite different tests on Thursday.

12. PST’s MLS Rookie of the Year: Shipp, Hagglund, Akindele or Birnbaum?

Oct 22, 2014, 9:25 PM EDT

Nick Hagglund; Michael Bradley AP

Perhaps it isn’t the sexiest year for rookies in Major League Soccer, but there’s a quartet of names set to stick around for a while.

13. Arsene Wenger: We went big and it paid off against Anderlecht

Oct 22, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT

Belgium Soccer Champions League AP

“I had hope, it maybe didn’t look like it, but it happened,” Wenger said.

14. It’s official: World No. 3 Colombia to face USMNT in London on Nov. 14

Oct 22, 2014, 7:23 PM EDT

James Rodriguez AP

“So overall, it’s a squad with a lot of experience playing at the highest level, and this will be another great benchmark for us,” Klinsmann said.

15. Brendan Rodgers remarks on Balotelli and Pepe’s halftime shirt swap

Oct 22, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT

Britain Soccer Champions League AP

Of course many are claiming this “is the beginning of end” for Balotelli on Merseyside. That seems a bit much.

16. VIDEO: Top 10 goals of the MLS season (heading into the final weekend)

Oct 22, 2014, 5:40 PM EDT

Erik Hurtado AP

Here’s the bar, Week 33 of Major League Soccer: Please feel free to raise it.

17. UEFA Champions League roundup: Madrid clubs, Borussia Dortmund roll

Oct 22, 2014, 4:47 PM EDT

Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, AP

We are at the halfway point in Groups A-D, and some English clubs are concerned about their fortunes to be sure.

18. Three things we learned as Real Madrid rout Liverpool

Oct 22, 2014, 4:41 PM EDT

Ronaldo and co. rolled into Anfield and issued Liverpool a harsh reality check. Ronaldo and co. rolled into Anfield and issued Liverpool a harsh reality check.

It was a night to forget for the home side, as Real ruled at Anfield. Here’s what we learned.

19. Arsenal’s Podolski, Gibbs break Belgian hearts in left-for-late win

Oct 22, 2014, 4:36 PM EDT

Belgium Soccer Champions League AP

The 21-year-old Honduran international did what a dangerous Alexis Sanchez couldn’t, but Arsenal was rescued late.

PST Extra: Can United beat Chelsea?