Jay DeMerit’s retirement letter is as grateful, humble and classy as you’d expect

Jul 24, 2014, 2:09 PM EDT

South Africa Soccer WCup US Algeria AP

Earlier today we told you that Vancouver Whitecaps defender Jay DeMerit was set to call it a career, and confirmation comes less than a pair of hours later.

The 34-year-old announced his retirement in an open letter on Vancouver’s web site, one in which he touched on his remarkable rise from American college soccer to muddy amateur games in England to the Premier League and the World Cup.

And DeMerit laid it out in the fashion you expect from the hard-working, ambitious defender we’ve admired for many years. Here’s what the former Watford and Vancouver captain had to say about the end of his career following a tendon injury.

From Whitecapsfc.com:

Even if I was to get back to a level where I could potentially play again, I would be putting at risk the reputation that I have spent so many years trying to create, and I won’t do that.  I’ve never taken the field just because I can. I’m either all in or all out. I take the field because I’m ready and able to give my all, to fight for my teammates, and give a committed performance for my club or my country.

I’ve always been the kind of player who wears his heart on his sleeve – and it’s that heart that is telling me it’s time to stop. If I can’t be the player that I have always been, and play to a standard that I believe is high enough, then it’s time for me to smile, say thank you, and give my commitment to a new cause.

I’m incredibly grateful to everyone who has helped my dreams become a reality over the past 11 years.

I’m sitting on my balcony, watching the sun drop behind the mountains of Vancouver, British Columbia. The ocean water in the bay is calm and I’m at peace.

I can’t wait to see what’s next.

The letter is absolutely worth your time, and I have to give a nod to my local American Outlaws chapter for the following contention:

Hear, hear!

Latest Posts
  1. Premier League Preview: West Bromwich Albion vs. Liverpool

Apr 24, 2015, 7:46 PM EDT

Aston Villa v Liverpool - FA Cup Semi-Final Aston Villa v Liverpool - FA Cup Semi-Final

The Baggies must defend The Hawthorns as Liverpool is barely clinging on to top-four dreams.

2. Hull City players face pay cuts up to 50-percent if relegated

Apr 24, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT

Swansea City v Hull City - Premier League Swansea City v Hull City - Premier League

Clinging onto safety in the Premier League, Hull City players now have some added incentive to avoid the drop.

3. Van Gaal: Ryan Giggs will be the next manager at Manchester United

Apr 24, 2015, 5:37 PM EDT

Manchester United Training and Press Conference Manchester United Training and Press Conference

Still in his first season as manager at Old Trafford, LVG has already endorsed his top assistant to be the next in line.

4. Premier League Preview: Manchester City vs. Aston Villa

Apr 24, 2015, 4:42 PM EDT

Can Tim Sherwood and Aston Villa continue their climb up the table at the Etihad?

5. SportsWorld: Jose Fonte talks playing with Ronaldo, shares thoughts on MLS

Apr 24, 2015, 3:42 PM EDT

Tottenham Hotspur v Southampton - Premier League Getty Images

PST’s Joe Prince-Wright sat down with the Southampton defender to see how the Saints’ skipper has evolved into one of the best center-backs in the Premier League.

6. VIDEO: PST Extra asks if Liverpool, Manchester City should get new managers

Apr 24, 2015, 2:50 PM EDT

Liverpool v Manchester City Getty Images

In the latest PST Extra we take a quick look at why whispers about managers losing their jobs at Liverpool, Man City are getting louder.

7. Prince-Wright’s Premier League picks: Time for the underdogs to shine

Apr 24, 2015, 2:06 PM EDT

Chelsea v Burnley - Premier League Getty Images

PST’s Lead Writer and Editor predicts the scores in the PL this weekend.

8. Could Tottenham share their stadium with an NFL team? Here’s how it will work

Apr 24, 2015, 1:25 PM EDT

SPURSSTADIUM1

Spurs are reportedly in talks with the NFL about housing a franchise in their new stadium.

9. VIDEO: PST Extra picks Premier League’s Best XI from 2014-15 season. Agree?

Apr 24, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT

Chelsea v Tottenham Hotspur - Premier League Getty Images

What do you think of these 11 players getting Team of the Year honors?

10. WATCH: NBC Sports’ Premier League TV schedule – Week 34

Apr 24, 2015, 11:19 AM EDT

PremierLeagueNBC

Where and how to watch every PL game during Week 34.

11. Jose Mourinho: “Arsene Wenger is not my rival” ahead of Arsenal vs. Chelsea

Apr 24, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT

WengerMourinho Getty Images

Mourinho stirs the pot before huge clash with Arsenal on Sunday.

12. Premier League Preview: Southampton vs. Tottenham Hotspur

Apr 24, 2015, 9:25 AM EDT

Tottenham Hotspur v Southampton - Premier League Getty Images

Can Saints get revenge on Pochettino as he returns to St Mary’s? Watch live, Saturday, 7:45 a.m ET.

13. Injury update on Chelsea’s Diego Costa. Is he fit for London derby vs. Arsenal?

Apr 24, 2015, 8:10 AM EDT

Chelsea v Liverpool - Capital One Cup Semi-Final: Second Leg Getty Images

Jose Mourinho has delivered an update on Costa’s progress ahead of Sunday’s big game.

14. Pochettino: Avoiding Europa League could help Spurs make Champions League next year

Apr 23, 2015, 11:17 PM EDT

Mauricio Pochettino, Tottenham Hotspur FC Getty Images

Mauricio Pochettino feels that any team not having to contend with Europa League has a better chance of qualifying for Champions League.

15. With Manchester City circling, Bayern Munich plan to extend Pep Guardiola’s contract

Apr 23, 2015, 10:13 PM EDT

Pep Guardiola, FC Bayern Munich Pep Guardiola, FC Bayern Munich

Hands off our Pep, Man City. Bayern exec says Guardiola is going nowhere.

16. Fuel on the fire — Sporting KC’s Feilhaber says “I’ve never liked Real Salt Lake”

Apr 23, 2015, 9:17 PM EDT

Benny Feilhaber, Sporting KC & Kyle Beckerman, Real Salt Lake Getty Images

Sporting KC vs. Real Salt Lake is inching ever closer to Most Hated Rivalry in MLS.

17. Could Chelsea call upon 17-year-old striker Dominic Solanke to start against Arsenal?

Apr 23, 2015, 7:21 PM EDT

Dominic Solanke, Chelsea FC Getty Images

It’s the biggest game of Chelsea’s season, and Mourinho might have to start a 17-year-old at striker.

18. Ancelotti expects Bale, Benzema to return “quickly” for Champions League semifinal

Apr 23, 2015, 6:11 PM EDT

Karim Benzema & Gareth Bale, Real Madrid CF Karim Benzema & Gareth Bale, Real Madrid CF

With the return of Bale and Benzema imminent, Ancelotti seems to think Real Madrid are the Champions League favorites.

Should Chelsea be more entertaining?