Jul 24, 2014, 4:08 PM EST
Rubio Rubin is one that got away from Major League Soccer – a U.S. U-level star who decided to finish his training in Europe. Formerly in the Timbers system, the Beaverton, Ore., attacker signed with the Netherlands’ FC Utrecht last year. When he turned 18 in March, Rubin finalized his move, beginning what U.S. Soccer hopes will be a long, successful professional career.
Unfortunately for Rubin, an early setback has marred preparations for his first full season. Suffering a broken nose and a concussion on Sunday in a preseason friendly against Scotland’s Dundee United, the U-20 standout will be sidelined until his concussion symptoms wane. Even then, Rubin won’t return to full training until his reset nose has healed.
From the club, via reporting by Major League Soccer’s website:
“He has to recover, so he won’t play for a while,” FC Utrecht press officer Martin Versteeg told MLSsoccer.com on Thursday. “He will return to training next week, but without contact.”
Rubin has played for both the U-20s and U-18s over the last three months, scoring the winning goal against Fluminense in the semifinals of April’s Dallas Cup. In early June, he was part of an 18-player squad that faced Norway, Portugal, and Sweden in Lisbon.
Sunday’s incident is an unfortunate turn, but provided both injuries are treated properly, the ailments should only be minor setbacks to his strong preseason. Originally expected to work his way through the reserves, Rubin has seen time with Utrecht’s senior team this summer. While he may not be ready for Utrecht’s Aug. 8 Eredivisie opener, a full recovery may not come long before his senior debut.
More about Rubin, from U.S. Soccer:
- CONCACAF Champions League: D.C. United battered by Alajualense, 5-2 0
- Keller, Hejduk, Conrad headline 13 new eligibles for National Soccer HOF 0
- Europa League roundup: Tottenham, Liverpool out; Everton, La Liga sides advance 0
- Besiktas 1-0 (1-1) Liverpool: Arslan makes, Lovren misses final PK as Reds go out of Europe 7
- Fiorentina ousts Tottenham from the Europa League with 2-0 win at the Stadio Artemio Franchi 1
- Strike season? Real Salt Lake owner calls free agency “go nowhere conversation” 7