Jul 24, 2014, 11:47 AM EDT
Superstars galore. That’s what Major League Soccer is all about these days.
[RELATED: Lampard signs for NYC FC]
Lampard, 36, is the highest scorer in Chelsea’s history, captained the Blues to their first-ever UEFA Champions League title in 2012, has won just about every trophy going domestically and in Europe, plus he has 103 caps for England who has captained on multiple occasions. Sure, he’s getting on but as Thierry Henry and Robbie Keane have shown in recent years, if you look after yourself you can still put in stunning performances. Lampard will hope to follow suit.
Where does his signing rank in MLS history of superstars?
Below is a list of the top 10 signings of all-time in MLS, since Designated Players became all the rage back in 2007 when David Beckham arrived in LA. Remember, although other signings may have made a bigger impact (such as Fredy Montero or Guillermo Barros Schelotto) we are purely talking about the global superstars here.
Do you agree with the top 10?
BIGGEST SIGNINGS IN MLS HISTORY
1. David Beckham
2. Thierry Henry
3. ***Frank Lampard ***
5. David Villa
6. Robbie Keane
9. Tim Cahill
10. Jermain Defoe
- Pep Guardiola on final year of contract: “Not completely convinced” he’s right for Bayern 0
- FA Community Shield preview: Will Arsenal or Chelsea claim the season’s first reward? 0
- Jose Mourinho issues Chelsea injury update; believes Arsenal can win Premier League 0
- After 12-year absence, Southampton wholeheartedly embrace European return 1
- Theo Walcott signs lucrative four-year contract at Arsenal; Cazorla extends 0
- Thursday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Lambert to West Brom, Balotelli back to Italy 3