Jul 24, 2014, 11:47 AM EST
Superstars galore. That’s what Major League Soccer is all about these days.
[RELATED: Lampard signs for NYC FC]
Lampard, 36, is the highest scorer in Chelsea’s history, captained the Blues to their first-ever UEFA Champions League title in 2012, has won just about every trophy going domestically and in Europe, plus he has 103 caps for England who has captained on multiple occasions. Sure, he’s getting on but as Thierry Henry and Robbie Keane have shown in recent years, if you look after yourself you can still put in stunning performances. Lampard will hope to follow suit.
Where does his signing rank in MLS history of superstars?
Below is a list of the top 10 signings of all-time in MLS, since Designated Players became all the rage back in 2007 when David Beckham arrived in LA. Remember, although other signings may have made a bigger impact (such as Fredy Montero or Guillermo Barros Schelotto) we are purely talking about the global superstars here.
Do you agree with the top 10?
BIGGEST SIGNINGS IN MLS HISTORY
1. David Beckham
2. Thierry Henry
3. ***Frank Lampard ***
5. David Villa
6. Robbie Keane
9. Tim Cahill
10. Jermain Defoe
- MLS announces home openers for 2015 season 0
- Mourinho says Eden Hazard can become an all-time great 1
- After failed odyssey abroad, Brek Shea returns to MLS with Orlando City 3
- Lille, Werder Bremen noted frontrunners for Jozy Altidore’s services 1
- WATCH: Premier League TV schedule – Week 17 0
- Another set back for Southampton: Jay Rodriguez’s nightmare year continues 0