Jul 25, 2014, 7:57 AM EDT
One of the most repeated rumors of silly season has been the transfer of Chilean star attacker Arturo Vidal from Juventus to Manchester United.
At times it’s seemed there’s a pattern that goes something like this:
1) Vidal is linked to Manchester United.
2) That link is squashed by a “source”.
3) Vidal is linked to Manchester United for even more money.
[ RELATED: Juventus says Vidal is not for sale ]
Well this time, the words are coming directly from the 27-year-old midfielder. Vidal says he is uncertain about his future at Juventus under new manager Massimiliano Allegri, but will not be going to Old Trafford.
Speaking to Sky Sports Italia, Vidal insisted that he was still enjoying life in Turin and urged fans not to worry.
Vidal, who is under contract until 2017, said: “I’m still on holiday at the moment. Can I say I’m staying at Juve? I don’t know. On Monday I’ll talk to Allegri then we’ll see.
“I’m happy here. I’m calm. I believe Juve fans can be too. I still haven’t spoken to Allegri or my team-mates.”
Asked if he was going to Manchester United, he added: “No, no.”
Other translations have Vidal directly saying “I will not go to Manchester”, though from time-to-time the Italian media can vary in how the translate answers to questions.
Vidal would be a big get for Louis van Gaal, and there have been reports that United has bid as much as $78 million for the Chilean. But it seems Vidal is being elusive at best, and this could be an instance where the Red Devils absence of UEFA Champions League soccer will hurt them.
It’s being claimed that Liverpool is ready to make a big bid for Vidal as well.
- Study says Lionel Messi top striker in 2015, Cristiano Ronaldo 29th best 0
- USMNT vs Switzerland preview: Last time they met, Michael Bradley scored the winner with a full head of hair 0
- MLS Player of the Week — Week 4 0
- NWSL mega deal sends Sydney Leroux Dwyer to WNY for rights to Abby Wambach 1
- Prolific U.S. U-17 striker chooses club home in NASL 2
- How will the USMNT line up against Switzerland? 4