Jul 25, 2014, 12:51 PM EST
Ivory Coast striker Didier Drogba has agreed on a one-year contract at Stamford Bridge, where he’ll try to help his old boss Jose Mourinho win the Premier League again.
Drogba, 36, returns to Chelsea after two years away from the club. He scored eight goals in 11 appearances for China’s Shanghai Shenhua before netting 15 times in 37 matches for Turkish giants Galatasaray.
He scored 157 goals in eight seasons at Chelsea, including 100 in Premier League play and 34 in Europe. He was a part of three Premier League winners and one Champions League winner during his time in London.
On signing his contract, Drogba said: ‘It was an easy decision – I couldn’t turn down the opportunity to work with Jose again. Everyone knows the special relationship I have with this club and it has always felt like home to me.
‘My desire to win is still the same and I look forward to the opportunity to help this team. I am excited for this next chapter of my career.’
Jose Mourinho said: ‘He’s coming because he’s one of the best strikers in Europe. I know his personality very well and I know if he comes back he’s not protected by history or what he’s done for this club previously. He is coming with the mentality to make more history.’
Drogba’s advanced age, in soccer terms, is obviously a concern, but he played well off the bench for the Ivory Coast despite the nation’s failings at the World Cup. On a one-year deal, this is not a bad move at all for Chelsea. Drogba respects Mourinho and vice versa. Chelsea look powerful heading towards the season.
- Ban upheld: Diego Costa to miss Saturday’s visit from Manchester City, 2 more 1
- Report: Liverpool hoping to buy Ings, loan striker back to Burnley for season 1
- David Beckham says progress still being made toward MLS stadium in Miami 1
- DONE DEAL: Mattia Destro, Juan Agudelo sign with new clubs AC Milan, New England Revolution 0
- Juan Agudelo signs with New England Revolution, completes return to MLS 2
- How will Chelsea, Manchester City line up in huge Premier League clash? 2