Jul 25, 2014, 9:55 AM EST
It’s been a couple weeks since reports of French international defender Eliaquim Mangala’s “advanced talks” with Manchester City, and now the Porto man seems all but a member of the reigning champs.
The latest proof? A video of Mangala’s signing uploaded to the Manchester City web site a bit too early for the club’s tastes, but one that shows the 23-year-old as a member of City (pending a medical, of course).
The team is claiming their site was hacked, and that the deal to bring Mangala from Porto to Manchester is not officially done. But that doesn’t change the video.
The footage, shot for City TV, shows a private jet touching down at Manchester Airport accompanied by the caption “9am: French international defender Eliaquim Mangala arrives in Manchester.”
The player then disembarks and is met by club officials. “City’s newest signing en route to his medical,” proclaims the next caption.
He is asked to give a message to City fans.
“I am here to help the team win titles, the league, the cup and the Champions League,” he says. “I am ambitious and this is why I am here.”
He is then asked what his ambition is with City.
“To play as many games as possible and to help the team the best I can to be champions of England.”
Yep, sounds pretty clear cut. So City have a new, promising defender to bolster their back line and future (or they don’t. At least not yet. Officially. Or something).
- MLS, union come together to avoid calamitous work stoppage 5
- Wednesday’s Premier League roundup: Chelsea, Man City win; six of top seven prevail 0
- Jose Mourinho says his Chelsea team “were brothers on the pitch” in crucial win 0
- West Ham United 0-1 Chelsea: Hazard’s header enough for league leaders 0
- Newcastle United 0-1 Manchester United: Krul gaffe spoils Jonas return 4
- Swansea’s Bafetimbi Gomis stretchered off the pitch after appearing to collapse 1