Jul 25, 2014, 1:39 PM EDT
How different could this all have been if Southampton made a real charge for the FA Cup, leaving the Saints players to an offseason with Europe on the mind?
[ RELATED: Get ready for the great Southampton fire sale ]
The 25-year-old Croatian defender is undergoing a medical at Liverpool, where he would join Lallana and Lambert. Lovren spoke of his desire to head to Anfield on July 6.
Southampton defender Dejan Lovren will undergo a medical with Liverpool over the weekend after the clubs reached agreement on a £20m move.
Lovren will undergo his medical at Anfield before Liverpool return from their tour of the United States.
Both Liverpool and Southampton refused to comment.
Lovren had been with the Saints since joining in 2013 from Lyon, and had critical things to say earlier this month regarding the Saints status. The widely-held opinion is that Southampton’s lack of ambition to succeed outside of their renowned academy. Southampton has sold homegrown players like Gareth Bale, Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain, Wayne Bridge and Theo Walcott before the current croppers Lallana and Shaw skipped town:
“When I decided to go to Southampton, many people were surprised, but I went because the people at the club had great ambition,” said Lovren.
“It was because of that I’d agreed to sign for Southampton. When the chairman left, and Pochettino was going too as early as April, I realised things had fallen apart.”
Things are looking dicey at Southampton.
- Report: AZ Alkmaar speaking with Werder Bremen about Aron Johannsson 0
- Premier League Goalkeeper preview: Who’s in our Top Five, and who switched clubs? 2
- Best starting lineups for all 20 Premier League teams – Do you agree? 7
- VIDEO: Cristiano Ronaldo storms out of interview: “Doesn’t give a ****” about FIFA 5
- VIDEO: Watch Arsene Wenger snub Jose Mourinho handshake. Who is in the wrong? 3
- Cristiano Ronaldo buys his agent a Greek island… as a wedding gift 1