Jul 26, 2014, 9:01 PM EDT
A 3-2 victory over Italy’s runners-up Saturday afternoon in Denver left Louis van Gaal with more complaints than praise, with the new Manchester United boss critical of a second half showing that allowed Roma to close the gap to one after the Red Devils’ three first half scores.
Two of those goals went to Wayne Rooney, whose four goals in 90 minutes have given the United star a quick start to Manchester United’s U.S. tour. The England international also set up United’s other score, with a long pass for Juan Mata allowing the Spaniard to beat Lukasz Skorupski six minutes before halftime.
In the second, goals from Miralem Pjanic and a penalty kick converted by Francesco Totti closed the gap, with van Gaal particularly critical of Ben Amos’s inability to adjust to Pjanic’s lob from beyond the center line.
“I am nearly 63 years old and I run, when the ball is flying four seconds, fifty meters,” the new United boss quipped, according to The Guardian.
It was part of a second half that saw United’s midfield let them down, leaving van Gaal remiss that some of his most skilled players couldn’t kill the game off. Combine that poor play with altitude and a mid-day kick-off, and United had its recipe for collapse.
“When you are 3-0 ahead, you just have to keep the ball as opponent [have] to run and run,” Van Gaal said. “It is very difficult, with this hot weather to do that … I am pleased we have won, but it was not good.”
Among the other things that pleased van Gaal was the performance of Rooney, whose pass for Mata’s goal was called “unbelievable.” The rest of the team drew a more critical review: “I think we [didn't] play a good match.”
- Premier League Playback: Legendary Lampard strikes, United’s shambolic implosion 0
- Men in Blazers podcast: A Night of 1,000 Stars 0
- Report: Sami Khedira to seal $20 million Arsenal move in January 0
- Emotional Lampard just as shocked after pegging back ex-club Chelsea (VIDEO) 0
- Manchester City 1-1 Chelsea: Lampard shocks former club with late equalizer (video) 1
- Mario Balotelli mocks Manchester United on twitter 5