Jul 26, 2014, 10:47 AM EDT
Will Radamel Falcao join his Colombia teammate James Rodríguez at Real Madrid, also saying goodbye to Monaco? AS reports that Madrid only need a “Number 9″ to sort out this summer’s signings, and it’s Falcao they have their eye on.
To land the striker, Real are prepared to offer €12.5m (~$17m) just to bring in Falcao on loan. Then they’d like to finish up his transfer next season, paying an additional €33m (~$44m). AS even reports that Falcao, who apparently possesses the same dream as James of playing for los blancos, is willing to cut his wages down by 50 percent, to a much more manageable €7m (~$9.4m) per year.
Yet either no one has let Falcao in on this plan, or Falcao is doing a wonderful job playing his cards close to his chest. The 28-year-old told Colombia TV station “Sic” (reported in El Tiempo) that he “knows nothing about proposals from other teams”.
Falcao’s comments from earlier this week suggest that he’s indeed committed to Monaco, at least for the time being: “I believe in Monaco’s project. I want to play the Champions League, and we’re going to strengthen our squad to do that.”
Should Real Madrid fail to land Falcao, they may push for Romelu Lukaku, whose Chelsea future will be decided after preseason friendlies. That’s likely the last summer signing los blancos will make, although they will still likely offload players deemed no longer necessary.
- MLS Snapshot: D.C. United 6-4 Real Salt Lake (video) 0
- Premier League friendly roundup: Man City lose in Germany, Liverpool win in Finland 0
- Brendan Rodgers says $50 million for Christian Benteke was a bargain 0
- Saturday’s Transfer Rumor Roundup: Berbatov to Villa, Rahman to Chelsea 1
- Manchester United, adidas unveil kits with “smashing” photos 4
- Pep Guardiola on final year of contract: “Not completely convinced” he’s right for Bayern 1